Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 02:07:50 -0000 (UTC)
bob prohaska wrote:

I tried a simple expanding snap ring tool on the wheel and the
taper of the ring end slipped off the tool with the force I could
muster holding it in. Maybe a tool ground thin enough to go into
the ring groove would find a ledge to catch on....

This is one of the tools used for rings like that:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-44900-L...dp/B0009OR974/

I have one so would give it a try buy it looks like one side of the
Wheel ring is too buggered up for it to hold now. The gap on the
Pump
ring is much too wide for it. Nice tool to have around for such
stuff
though...

I would try Jim's method. Vise grip to keep one side from moving
while pushing, hammering with an old screwdriver or punch on the
other.
I've done that before, it works. And Don's method works too but like
he
mentioned, you almost need three hands to do it

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

You reminded me that I have one of those, hiding among the spark plug
boot pullers. It's a Cal-Van no. 268.
-jsw