Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 23:15:36 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

I'd like to remove two snaprings from an old Hein Werner model K
floor jack. They're pictured at

http://www.zefox.net/~bp/wheel_snapring.jpg
and
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/pump_snapring.jpg

None of the tools in my collection has any chance of
holding on to these things. Does anybody know of a tool
that will get them off?

It's likely possible to use a Dremel tool to notch them
so they can be either grabbed or broken, but that promises
to be a lot of work and somewhat hard on the adjacent metal.
Better ideas would be much appreciated, I don't like any of mine.

Thanks for looking, and any guidance!

bob prohaska

There is..is the alternate method...got a GOOD pair of needlenosed
pliers? Wedge em in the gap..pull the handles apart with each hand
and have the wife wedge a screwdriver under the ring.

Much hilarity and blue language will result..but it will work..though
it may take a while.

Been there, done that...have the scars and a wife who gets ****ed
whenever I ask her to help me in the shop.

---