Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 23:15:36 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

I'd like to remove two snaprings from an old Hein Werner model K
floor jack. They're pictured at

http://www.zefox.net/~bp/wheel_snapring.jpg
and
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/pump_snapring.jpg

None of the tools in my collection has any chance of
holding on to these things. Does anybody know of a tool
that will get them off?

It's likely possible to use a Dremel tool to notch them
so they can be either grabbed or broken, but that promises
to be a lot of work and somewhat hard on the adjacent metal.
Better ideas would be much appreciated, I don't like any of mine.

Thanks for looking, and any guidance!

bob prohaska

Bob..the "easy" way..is to drill a pair of holes in the ring and use
regular snap ring pliers.

Id suggest using carbide bits and a drill press.

If you have a pair of Heavy snap ring pliers...you might be able to
open the ring up and with your third hand..get a screw driver in
behind them and pry them open and out.

Those rings were never intended to be "user friendly"...which speaks
much about the confidence of the maker in their own product line.

---