Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 7:49:40 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 7:15:40 PM UTC-4, bob prohaska
wrote:
I'd like to remove two snaprings from an old Hein Werner model K
floor jack. They're pictured at

http://www.zefox.net/~bp/wheel_snapring.jpg
and
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/pump_snapring.jpg

None of the tools in my collection has any chance of
holding on to these things. Does anybody know of a tool
that will get them off?

It's likely possible to use a Dremel tool to notch them
so they can be either grabbed or broken, but that promises
to be a lot of work and somewhat hard on the adjacent metal.
Better ideas would be much appreciated, I don't like any of mine.

Thanks for looking, and any guidance!

bob prohaska

I couldn't load the first picture, but the second one looks like you
could use a flat bar - there's nothing there for scale, so maybe
even a flat-blade screwdriver would work - against both open ends at
once. Push the clip back far enough to slip something (a pick,
perhaps) between the pin and the closed side of the clip.

If a flat bar pressing against both ends doesn't move the clip far
enough, you could notch the bar to clear the pin while still pushing
on the clip.

Good luck.

jpb

OK, the wheel picture finally loaded and it looks like that snap ring
won't just push off. So, I agree with Jim - make a wedge or
rounded-end tool, push it into the space, and voila! But it also looks
like fairly ordinary snap ring pliers could be ground to fit into that
space. with something like these https://goo.gl/2ZPHzP you can grind
just the tips to suit.

That might work with better pliers than mine. Custom bits that don't
fit the hex grooves pop out too easily.
-jsw