Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 16:49:35 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 7:15:40 PM UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:
I'd like to remove two snaprings from an old Hein Werner model K
floor jack. They're pictured at

http://www.zefox.net/~bp/wheel_snapring.jpg
and
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/pump_snapring.jpg

None of the tools in my collection has any chance of
holding on to these things. Does anybody know of a tool
that will get them off?

It's likely possible to use a Dremel tool to notch them
so they can be either grabbed or broken, but that promises
to be a lot of work and somewhat hard on the adjacent metal.
Better ideas would be much appreciated, I don't like any of mine.

Thanks for looking, and any guidance!

bob prohaska

I couldn't load the first picture, but the second one looks like you could use a flat bar - there's nothing there for scale, so maybe even a flat-blade screwdriver would work - against both open ends at once. Push the clip back far enough to slip something (a pick, perhaps) between the pin and the closed side of the clip.

If a flat bar pressing against both ends doesn't move the clip far enough, you could notch the bar to clear the pin while still pushing on the clip.

Good luck.

jpb

It looks like it could be driven far enough off of the shaft with a
big screwdriver or piece of flat stock.

The first photo, if I'm interpreting it right, looks like an internal
ring like the ones that you'll see holding in half-shafts in a
front-drive car transaxle. Thos typically mate with a ring grooove in
the half-axle that is chamfered on both dies. The shafts are meant to
be driven out with a dead-blow hammer (something I did, twice, in my
1987 Mazda), and they're not meant to be removed unless they're
destroyd -- in whcih case you can pick out the pieces with needle-nose
pliers.

--
Ed huntress