Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Impossible snap ring, how to remove?

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 7:15:40 PM UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:
I'd like to remove two snaprings from an old Hein Werner model K
floor jack. They're pictured at

http://www.zefox.net/~bp/wheel_snapring.jpg
and
http://www.zefox.net/~bp/pump_snapring.jpg

None of the tools in my collection has any chance of
holding on to these things. Does anybody know of a tool
that will get them off?

It's likely possible to use a Dremel tool to notch them
so they can be either grabbed or broken, but that promises
to be a lot of work and somewhat hard on the adjacent metal.
Better ideas would be much appreciated, I don't like any of mine.

Thanks for looking, and any guidance!

bob prohaska

I couldn't load the first picture, but the second one looks like you could use a flat bar - there's nothing there for scale, so maybe even a flat-blade screwdriver would work - against both open ends at once. Push the clip back far enough to slip something (a pick, perhaps) between the pin and the closed side of the clip.

If a flat bar pressing against both ends doesn't move the clip far enough, you could notch the bar to clear the pin while still pushing on the clip.

Good luck.

jpb