Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manualtransmission?

On 09/23/2017 02:39 AM, Chaya Eve wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 15:08:54 +1000, Xeno wrote:

We had such a generic alignment tool available. The issue was that it
didn't handle the dual clutch system on the tractor at all well. The
local dealer didn't have a *factory one* for the tractor but he lent us
one he'd made up on a lathe. It wasn't a firm fit however, hence the
need to pack it up with tape. Coupled with 4 alignment dowels, made out
of bolts with heads removed, fitted into the block, the mating up
process was the smoothest I'd ever encountered.

What I don't understand, since I don't even know why this "alignment tool"
is needed, is what happens if I don't have this special alignment tool?

You need something to hold the clutch plate in the correct position as
you bolt on the pressure plate.

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/c...toyota/4runner

The small end inserts into the pilot bushing/bearing on the end of the
crankshaft and the splines engage the clutch splines. The pressure plate
has the screws and often dowels to position it, but the clutch plate
itself is free floating at that point in the assemble. If the splines
and the pilot bushing aren't concentric the transmission shaft isn't
going to slide into place.

For $3 you want one rather than trying to eyeball the alignment as you
hold the pressure plate in position and get the screws started.

btw, I think my terminology has been sloppy at times; bolts have a
matching nut, screws go into a threaded hole. Somehow 'bolt up the
pressure plate' sounds better than 'screw up the pressure plate'.