Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slitting saw usage ?

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 08:10:11 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 21:34:22 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
I've been putting cheap analog meters on my solar panel downleads
after losing a nice digital Wattmeter to possibly static
electricity.

Bummer. Aren't your panel frames, ground wires, and control panel
face grounded? Which meter, Watt Meter (blue al), DROK, or Bayite?

It's a stand-alone system at 24V or less, which is allowed to be
ungrounded. There is a ground rod for the generator when connected.
The panels can be patched in parallel for 12V or series for 24V so one
has to float. The lightning arrestors trip at 70-85V.

Isn't static electricity usually measured in the kV?

https://www.homepower.com/articles/s...ing-dc-systems
"Be sure to make that connection (between negative and equipment
grounding) in one place only."

I get the ground loop thing, but since they're not electrically
connected, I'm going to ground my frames and rails from a separate
ground right next to their end of the roof, for the unlikely instance
of lightning. The redwood would be the most likely strike point, with
the power poles coming a close second, and the house/panels 3rd. SWAG
I'm glad I don't live in your Lightning Alley.

This is the meter that failed by reading high. I can't prove static
caused it.
https://www.banggood.com/PZEM-031-DC...p-1111791.html

Perhaps they should rename it BangBad? (mindless Blue State humor)
PeaceFair looks a mite like a Bayite, enough that both could have come
from the same factory. Perhaps I'll treat my Bayites a bit more
cautiously from now on, since I hadn't been thinking about static
damage.

Gotta get those panels UP!

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;