Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:49:06 +1000, Xeno wrote:

Another point worth noting. When you are ready to remove the trans, and
have removed the rear cross member ...

Just a side point which is that in the DIYs I looked at (Tundra, for
example), the cross member was bolted but in my Toyota (4Runner) it is
welded so the cross member isn't going anywhere.

and associated mounts, you often need
to lower the rear of the gearbox down in order to either get clearance
to undo the top bell housing bolts or to get clear of the trans tunnel
when removing the gearbox. That means your trans adapter needs to
accommodate the basic tilt angle plus the extended tilt angle after the
rear of the trans has been lowered to accommodate removal.

Which is why an adapter with a 5 degree angle doesn't cut it.

I understand and I appreciate that you (and someone else) already said that
5 degrees is not going to cut the mustard.

I think I will aim for 20 degrees minimum.
A friend is coming over this weekend who will give me gratis his boxed
unopened HF motorcycle lift. He bought it and never used it and then
crashed the bike. So he doesn't need it.

We'll assemble it and see if it does the trick.
If not, then I will definitely get either the saddle or the transmission
jack where I will seek out 20 degrees or more.

Nobody said yet though if we need that in all three directions
.. front
.. back
.. side

I suspect only front-and-back is required but I ask because now is the time
to ask (before I buy it).