Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manualtransmission?

On 23/09/2017 6:39 PM, Chaya Eve wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 11:44:43 +1000, Xeno wrote:

Most engines that I've come across are not "parallel to the garage
floor". In fact, most are inclined at a slight downward angle. There are
reasons for this and it has to do with driveshaft alignment. More likely
to be horizontal if the vehicle has a triple jointed driveshaft.

I may very well have been wrong when I said that the transmission seems to
be parallel to the garage floor.

When I align the transmission jack, based on what you just said, I will
plan to be tilted a few degrees such that the rear is lower than the front
then.

Another point worth noting. When you are ready to remove the trans, and
have removed the rear cross member and associated mounts, you often need
to lower the rear of the gearbox down in order to either get clearance
to undo the top bell housing bolts or to get clear of the trans tunnel
when removing the gearbox. That means your trans adapter needs to
accommodate the basic tilt angle plus the extended tilt angle after the
rear of the trans has been lowered to accommodate removal.

Which is why an adapter with a 5 degree angle doesn't cut it.

--

Xeno