Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manualtransmission?

On 23/09/2017 7:26 AM, Chaya Eve wrote:
On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:47:18 -0600, rbowman wrote:

How do you measure that the engine is "level"?
I have levels, of course.

I hesitated when I wrote that. The axis of the engine's crankshaft when
it is supported has to be the same as that of the transmission's input
shaft. The whole lashup could be at a 20 degree angle relative to the
floor as long as both match.

Another way to look at is the perpendicular mating surfaces need to have
matching angles.

Thanks for clarifying that the engine needs to be in line with the
transmission shaft, where they look (to the naked eye) parallel to the
garage floor that the vehicle will be parked on.

Most engines that I've come across are not "parallel to the garage
floor". In fact, most are inclined at a slight downward angle. There are
reasons for this and it has to do with driveshaft alignment. More likely
to be horizontal if the vehicle has a triple jointed driveshaft.

--

Xeno