Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wireless keyboard question

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:55:03 -0400, bitrex
wrote:

On 09/20/2017 08:56 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

(...)
However, if you're lucky enough to find an Apple wireless anodized
aluminum keyboard that hasn't died from a battery electrolyte
hemorrage, you can kill it with software. I have several keyboards
that failed to survive a firmware upgrade. Apple gives you only one
chance to install the firmware. If there's any hesitation or hiccup
in the upload, it merrily continues and installs corrupted garbage. If
you try to recover by installing an earlier version, Apple's installer
refuses to allow a firmware downgrade.

Thanks for the detailed reply! You can really brick Apple keyboads
during a firmware update whaaaaat?!

Firmware upgrade didn't brick the keyboard, but killed a few keys.

It's been a few years and the keyboards were recycled long ago. Before
the upgrade, both wireless keyboards worked normally. Afterwards, the
BT KBD would work, but several keys were dead. Different keys on each
keyboard. I trashed one on my Mac Mini, while a customer trashed
theirs on some other Mac. I vaguely recall the firmware version as
1.4, but that might be incorrect.

The problem was not the failed firmware upload, but rather that Apple
does not allow firmware downgrades or reloading the same version that
is installed. This is just plain stupid as I could have recovered the
keyboard if either were allowed. I tried to find my postings to the
Apple forum on the topic, but failed. The user replies were not very
useful.

The reason that I mentioned it is that you will find Apple Aluminum BT
wireless keyboards at thrift shops with a few defective keys. In many
cases, new in the box. Everyone seems to assume that it's a
mechanical or liquid problem with the keyboard mechanics. However, I
believe it to be failed firmware upgrade problems similar to what I
experienced.

Caveat Emptor.

--
Jeff Liebermann