Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wireless keyboard question

I bought my elderly father a refurb all-in-one desktop Mac a couple
years old. It didn't come with the OEM keyboard but some kind of kinda
crappy Shenzen-special "wireless" keyboard. I assumed it was Bluetooth
at first but there's no dongle anywhere in the box, or instructions.

So you put in the AAA batteries, flip the "on" switch and power up the
Mac and nothing happens, the "wireless" keyboard and mouse don't do a thing.

I'll get him something better ASAP but in the meantime wtf do you do
with this thing?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:02:58 -0400, bitrex
wrote:

I'll get him something better ASAP but in the meantime wtf do you do
with this thing?

You look at the keyboard serial number tag to identify the maker and
model number. From that, you can probably find an overpriced matching
USB receiver on eBay.

If "something better" means Logitech, they make some good keyboards
and a few really awful keyboards. For example, the K750 uses an
MS2032 rechargeable button cell that is rather difficult to find,
difficult to remove and difficult to replace:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Logitech+K750+Keyboard+ML2032+to+CR2032+battery+re placement/49181
ML2032 cells are available on eBay in your choice of real, mislabeled,
or counterfeit. Lifetime of the MS2032 cell is about a month if you
allow the cell to discharge for extended periods. So, you have to
leave it in a well lit room or near a window to keep it charged. There
are others that suck, but this is the worst design I've seen.

If you buy used, you'll find quite a few Apple BlueGoof anodized
aluminum wireless keyboards. Besides the traditional unrepairable
keyboard, where one coffee spill means the keyboard is mortally
wounded, this also model offers an aluminum battery compartment and
stainless steel battery cover. Aluminum and stainless are not very
galvanically compatible, but will survive as long as there is no
liquid electrolyte inside the the threads. This is unlikely because
the common AA batteries will either outgas or leak, causing the
battery cover to RIP (rust in place). While you are trying to figure
out a way to remove the battery cover, the leaking electrolyte is
quietly rotting out the contacts and PCB traces.

However, if you're lucky enough to find an Apple wireless anodized
aluminum keyboard that hasn't died from a battery electrolyte
hemorrage, you can kill it with software. I have several keyboards
that failed to survive a firmware upgrade. Apple gives you only one
chance to install the firmware. If there's any hesitation or hiccup
in the upload, it merrily continues and installs corrupted garbage. If
you try to recover by installing an earlier version, Apple's installer
refuses to allow a firmware downgrade.

Have fun keyboard shopping.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 5:03:02 PM UTC-7, bitrex wrote:
I bought my elderly father a refurb all-in-one desktop Mac a couple
years old. It didn't come with the OEM keyboard but some kind of kinda
crappy Shenzen-special "wireless" keyboard. I assumed it was Bluetooth
at first but there's no dongle anywhere in the box, or instructions.

So you put in the AAA batteries, flip the "on" switch and power up the
Mac and nothing happens, the "wireless" keyboard and mouse don't do a thing.

I'll get him something better ASAP but in the meantime wtf do you do
with this thing?

If you think Bluetooth isn't working, try a USB mouse and keyboard.
If Bluetooth is working, and turned on, does it show any available keyboards
or mice to pair with? Connection isn't just automatic, you have to AUTHORIZE the
bluetooth item from the host computer.

Either System Preferences/Bluetooth or the Bluetooth pulldown menu is a place to start.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the detailed reply! You can really brick Apple keyboads
during a firmware update whaaaaat?!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 09/21/2017 07:19 AM, whit3rd wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply, it's just frustrating that I have to use a _wired_
keyboard and mouse to get a wireless set to work. I don't have any wired
keyboards or mice lying around! What is this, 2002?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Il giorno giovedì 21 settembre 2017 13:19:20 UTC+2, whit3rd ha scritto:
[...]

If I remember correctly when a Mac starts, if there is no input device conneted (keyboard or mice), it turns on automatically the BT and starts the BT assistant to connect a BT keyboard or mice.

Bye Jack
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:55:03 -0400, bitrex
wrote:

On 09/20/2017 08:56 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

(...)
However, if you're lucky enough to find an Apple wireless anodized
aluminum keyboard that hasn't died from a battery electrolyte
hemorrage, you can kill it with software. I have several keyboards
that failed to survive a firmware upgrade. Apple gives you only one
chance to install the firmware. If there's any hesitation or hiccup
in the upload, it merrily continues and installs corrupted garbage. If
you try to recover by installing an earlier version, Apple's installer
refuses to allow a firmware downgrade.

Thanks for the detailed reply! You can really brick Apple keyboads
during a firmware update whaaaaat?!

Firmware upgrade didn't brick the keyboard, but killed a few keys.

It's been a few years and the keyboards were recycled long ago. Before
the upgrade, both wireless keyboards worked normally. Afterwards, the
BT KBD would work, but several keys were dead. Different keys on each
keyboard. I trashed one on my Mac Mini, while a customer trashed
theirs on some other Mac. I vaguely recall the firmware version as
1.4, but that might be incorrect.

The problem was not the failed firmware upload, but rather that Apple
does not allow firmware downgrades or reloading the same version that
is installed. This is just plain stupid as I could have recovered the
keyboard if either were allowed. I tried to find my postings to the
Apple forum on the topic, but failed. The user replies were not very
useful.

The reason that I mentioned it is that you will find Apple Aluminum BT
wireless keyboards at thrift shops with a few defective keys. In many
cases, new in the box. Everyone seems to assume that it's a
mechanical or liquid problem with the keyboard mechanics. However, I
believe it to be failed firmware upgrade problems similar to what I
experienced.

Caveat Emptor.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 20:21:41 +0200, Look165
wrote:

Generally, these devices are IR comunicating.
This needs an IR receiver on the PC.

Huh? IrDA has been essentially dead for at least 10 years. I haven't
seen a full size keyboard that uses IR for at least that long. Most
everything these days uses some form of wireless to communicate.

Well, not totally dead. It is still possible to buy an IR keyboard
today:
http://www.dsi-keyboards.com/product-category/keyboards/wireless-keyboards/ir-infrared-keyboards/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A question of cost efficiency and stock dumping.

IR is so simple to integrate.

....And it uses "big batteries" !