Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 21:05:10 -0400, wrote:

Well, for starters it only gives you FIVE degrees of tilt. In my
experience that is seldom enough.

OK. I'll look for more than five degrees of tilt.
20 degrees in fact.
Forward and back.
Is side-to-side necessary?

I have a policy (developed from YTARS of automotive service) od
ALWAYS draining a transmission before removing unless it has a fixed
output flange.

I'm ok with draining since it's easy enough.
Plus it makes it slightly lighter.
But less messy is more important.
Plus, thinking forward, if I spill anything, I have to drain it anyway
because I won't know how much spilled to replace exactly the spill.

Notice it has a full 60 degrees of tilt - 30 in each direction. MUCH
more usefull than the 5 degree motorcycle jack that "also works" as a
transmission jack (sorta)

So 20 or 30 front to back is good?
What about side to side?

BTW, a friend said he can give me an unused still-in-the-box motorcycle
jack from HF so I will take a look at that tomorrow to check out the spec.

Don't waste your money and effort on the $100 solution - it is NOT a
viable solution.

If tilt is what I need, then I will have to get more tilt.

A friend is letting me have a motorcycle jack if it fits the bill so I'll
check that out tomorrow.

The saddle WILL work, as long as your jack has a removeable saddle and
the pin on the trans saddle fits or can be adapted to you jack saddle
mounting hole.

It's the best Costco steel floor jack of about five to ten or so years ago
so it does have a removable saddle. Dunno on the size.