Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:09:29 +1000, Xeno wrote:

I didn't know that "tilt" was a spec that mattered!

It is the *critical spec*. Without it you can easily end up with a
buckled clutch plate or difficulty getting the shafts aligned. The
tractor I did recently had a dual clutch, one plate was for the PTO, so
there were two splines to line up plus a pilot shaft. Flexibility is key.

Well, then, I'm officially edified that tilt *is* the spec!
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ion-jacks.html

How much is the "minimum" tilt needed in degrees?

This $160 transmission jack, for example, says:
Saddle tilt backwards (deg) 8°
Saddle tilt forward (deg) 55°
Saddle tilt side (deg) 30°
https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb...ack-60234.html

But this $100 one says:
Saddle tilt forward (deg) 5 deg.
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-39178.html

This $300 one says:
Saddle tilt forward (deg) 55° forward, 10° back, 12° side
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-60240.html

Obviously more is better in most cases, but what is a minimum required?
Forward = ?
Back = ?
Side = ?