Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 20:25:53 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Do you have any idea how much forward/backward tilt is usually needed?

That depends on how level you can get the engine.

Hmmmm... this is another thing I never thought of.
I will be on "adjustable" jack stands from HF. The 6 ton size.
They have those gear teeth.
That's the limit of adjustability.

How do you measure that the engine is "level"?
I have levels, of course.

In fact, I "tried" to measure the level of the transmission when I did the
lube change a few days ago. Here is a picture that I didn't put in the DIY
of me trying to figure out if the tranny is level.
https://s26.postimg.org/d5pocivnt/level.jpg

I gave up because I didn't have a good flat spot.

I knew the garage floor was level though.
https://s26.postimg.org/d53ughagp/00...uid_Change.jpg

So how do you check the level of the engine?
Do you just try what I tried with the transmission and look for a suitable
flat spot?