Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 17:44:03 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 00:50:04 -0400, wrote:

Wghat about the bloody aluminum engine mount bolts?

On the E39, the engine mounts are not a major problem. I don't recall a
single thread on it but I'm sure they exist. That includes both the V8 and
the I6.

A friend's wifes BMW snapped an aluminum bolt on a motor mount,
causing the engine to shift out of position. Being a retired machinist
he took it apart and was able to remove the threaded portion of the
bolt from the block? and replaced it with a steel bolt. This was the
mount that fastens the engine to the chassis - and I believe it was
the bolt that fastened the mount to the engine block.

I'll try to remember to ask Ted next Wednesday at lunch.

The only engine "mount" that is really bad is the V8 power steering pump
has two bolts, one of which loosens up for some reason, and then when it
falls out, it stays out forever (unless someone notices it). Over time, it
causes the bracket to crack, and it's an expensive cast aluminum bracket,
so lots of people have tried "welding" it to some degree of success.

The lesson is to always check that lower bolt once a year if you have the
V8. The I6 doesn't have that problem because it's a different setup where
the V8 at least has a way to drain the PS fluid whereas the I6 has no
drain.

The only legitimate reason to buy a Bimmer is for image. Even its
performance is mostly image.

I understand that perspective. I didn't buy it for that reason, but I
understand the perspective. I bought it because I thought it was a good
car. And it is a good car in very many ways. It's also a POS in very many
ways.

The handling is very good, especially at speed.
The power is pretty good for the size engine (high compression ratio).
The suspension is pretty good.

That's about it for what's good - but you have to admit that's the hard
stuff.

For the price of a Bimmer, it should all be better than just "pretty
good" My old Mercury Mystique was "pretty good" on all those counts
too. Went like a cat on a hot tin roof - and cornered like it was on
rails. That little n2.5 V6 (Porsche design with Cosworth heads.) was a
pretty willing engine - and just as capable.
The easy stuff, like making an A/C system that doesn't take a dozen button
presses or sealing the rear door vapor barriers with enough adhesive so
they don't leak water or designing the window regulator plastic rollers out
of better plastic (etcetera), they suck at.

Must have had the same engineers that designed the German Fords.

All BMW engineers seem to care about is designing the drive train.

The stylists look after the rest - under the constraints of the bean
counters.

The good news is that the engine will last forever as long as you don't
overheat it due to the crappy cooling system.

The same could honestly also be said of a Chevy Vega - - -