Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 17:43:58 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
wrote:
SNIPP

I've been down the tool-rental path, where sometimes it's worth it (like
with a ditch digger but most of the time you get a beat up worn tool for
about half the price of a brand new tool).

So I'll likely buy a new but inexpensive transmission jack (or this saddle
idea if it works).

Googling I see some people just weld a fence post to a flat plate of metal
to make a saddle, but I don't have welding equipment (that's another
project for another day).

And the fence post doesn't give you the tilt that the jack saddle does
(it really converts the floor jack to a transmission jack)

Must I have a transmission jack?
If I need it I'll get it - but it will only be used once so I'd rather not.

Rent it. The local Time Rental is showing $34.50 a day.

I have rented but found that you gat a beat up tool for about 1/3 the cost
of a brand new tool.

How does this cheap $100 transmission jack look?
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-61232.html

Well, for starters it only gives you FIVE degrees of tilt. In my
experience that is seldom enough.
If you don't
have a torque wrench you can generally rent those too.

In this picture you one of my Pittsburgh (not great) torque wrenches.
https://s26.postimg.org/b8bppn96h/01...uid_Change.jpg

I don't mind buying a torque wrench if I need it because that is something
that gets used time and time again.

Another thing
about keeping the tranny nice and level and upright is you don't
suddenly find out that there really isn't a shaft seal on the input or
output shaft and fill your armpit with fluid.

I have a policy (developed from YTARS of automotive service) od
ALWAYS draining a transmission before removing unless it has a fixed
output flange.

I'm gonna drain it based on what was said prior that it's going to leak out
no matter what I do. I just drained it two days ago so that's easy to do.
https://s26.postimg.org/eo8fcxvsp/00...uid_Change.jpg

Two days ago I replaced the fluid as shown in this photo, so it will be
interesting to see what the new fluid looks like after a few weeks.
https://s26.postimg.org/hplfho4s9/00...uid_Change.jpg

If you figure it will take more than a couple of days you might find
something like this locally:
https://www.amazon.com/Gotobuy-Trans.../dp/B01MTXZE6J

Notice it has a full 60 degrees of tilt - 30 in each direction. MUCH
more usefull than the 5 degree motorcycle jack that "also works" as a
transmission jack (sorta)
Thank you for finding that, which seems to be the $40 "saddle" that was
previously suggested.

I like the idea of the saddle because it means I don't have to store a
transmission jack that I'll likely never use again (although we all know
that spare tools have a way of finding themselves useful in the strangest
of ways).

Even if it's a couple of bucks more locally you can measure up your
floor jack and make sure it's something that's going to fit without
going off onto another project to make it work.

After reading what was written here, I'm definitely going to get
"something" for holding the transmission. It will either be the $100
transmission jack or the $40 saddle similar to those listed above.

Don't waste your money and effort on the $100 solution - it is NOT a
viable solution.

I presume the jack works fine but I'll read the reviews on that saddle as
there is a chance it's a rube goldberg contraption.

The saddle WILL work, as long as your jack has a removeable saddle and
the pin on the trans saddle fits or can be adapted to you jack saddle
mounting hole.

The good news is that this is a 2WD Toyota so the transmission "looks"
accessible to me to a jack.
https://s26.postimg.org/urbpl9ik9/01...uid_Change.jpg

The transfer case on a 4wd does complicate things "somewhat".
Thanks for your wonderful advice!