Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Slitting saw usage ?

On 20/09/17 20:55, Howard Beel wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Howard Beel wrote:

This video shows a slitting saw mounted in a
boring head. Is there a special reason for doing
this? The cutting is simular to that of a shaper rather
than that of a saw cutting continously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAGSrGmHDaY

Yeah, that's amazing. As in, BAD! I always use a slitting saw with
flood
coolant. I have several arbors that can be used with them. The
bigger ones
do have a keyway, the smaller ones don't, but don't seem to slip with
reasonable depth of cut and feedrate.

Jon

I have found that most slitting saws have some runout and usually need
a touch up when mounted in the arbor. For some reason there always
seem to be a few teeth that are higher than the rest. Some of the blades
i indicated were 15 thou out of round and i sent them back to the vendor.
After mounting the saw in the mill i indicate it and mark the high teeth
then use a dumore tool post grinder to knock down the high teeth.
I like the peterson expanding flush mount arbors and robbjack arbors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hWW5enRfmw

Best Regards
Tom.

---
http://www.avg.com

Every slitting saw I have ever used seems to have some degree of runout
and is noticeable in the noise of the cutting. Most I use are top
quality as well and came from a local engineering company involved in
high volume production when it was demolished for housing and I got a
lifetimes supply of the things for no money, actually my neighbour sold
some at the local model engineering club at the first bring and buy day
and brought back more than I paid for the lot and I still have a draw
full. I usually run without a key as it was running with a key using a
large slitting saw, 8" IIRC, that it jammed and took out the main
spindle key in the BP when running with a 90 degree head. I don't run
them with flood coolant but do keep them well oiled.