Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:09:00 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Is the clutch linkage mechanical or hydraulic?

All Japanese cars, I'm told, are hydraulic.
This one certainly is hydraulic.
I bled the slave cylinder months ago but it didn't do anything.

Get under it and you'll
see some sort of lever sticking out the side of the bellhousing. Have
your wife operate the clutch and see if you are getting a full stroke
and smooth travel.

I went through my photos in my fluid change DIY where I didn't snap one of
the pink slave cylinder but in the far left you can see the rubber-booted
actuating mechanism into the clutch that the slave cylinder operates.
https://s26.postimg.org/rgncldsmx/00...uid_Change.jpg

I can have her press the pedal but I'd have to know how much travel to look
for at the transmission itself.

The symptoms were very erratic so sometimes it would work, sometimes
not. I also thought it might be the pivot ball for the lever arm. A
spray of lube and it would work for a while but I think that was just
coincidental. That could be why your miracle oil worked.

I'm all with you on the fact that the "miracle oil" must be an anomaly of
some sort because I just can't believe it makes that much of a difference
between a non-working transmission when cold making a K turn out of the
garage and a working one, when the fluid level was not low (it was actually
20 ounces too high).
https://s26.postimg.org/fjvq0wqpl/01...uid_Change.jpg