Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_13_] Carl Ijames[_13_] is offline

Default Mounting base for a 3D-printer

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message

Guys,

I hate to mention the topic of wood, but I want to mount a 3D-printer on a
flat stable base so I can move it around without disturbing the delicate
(poor design) setup.

I cannot afford a 24" square piece of 1/2" aluminum and cannot lift a 24"
square piece of 1/2" mild steel.

So, I am looking at 3/4" MDF, OSB and plywood, but open to other helpful
suggestions, but low cost is the operative.

Which of those options is likely to be the most stable? The machine has many
brackets for attaching to a base, so flexing and stability is at the pointy
end.

Thanks

Well, a 2'x4' piece of 1/2" thick 6061 is only $34 from www.mcmaster.com
(put 9246K491 in the search box), plus shipping, of course. Cutting it in
half is a bit of work and noise :-). For comparison, the 1/2" aluminum
plate will be about as stiff as a 1-3/8" thick piece of MDF.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames