Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mounting base for a 3D-printer

Guys,

I hate to mention the topic of wood, but I want to mount a 3D-printer on a flat stable base so I can move it around without disturbing the delicate (poor design) setup.

I cannot afford a 24" square piece of 1/2" aluminum and cannot lift a 24" square piece of 1/2" mild steel.

So, I am looking at 3/4" MDF, OSB and plywood, but open to other helpful suggestions, but low cost is the operative.

Which of those options is likely to be the most stable? The machine has many brackets for attaching to a base, so flexing and stability is at the pointy end.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 08:06:07 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Guys,

I hate to mention the topic of wood, but I want to mount a 3D-printer on a flat stable base so I can move it around without disturbing the delicate (poor design) setup.

I cannot afford a 24" square piece of 1/2" aluminum and cannot lift a 24" square piece of 1/2" mild steel.

So, I am looking at 3/4" MDF, OSB and plywood, but open to other helpful suggestions, but low cost is the operative.

Which of those options is likely to be the most stable? The machine has many brackets for attaching to a base, so flexing and stability is at the pointy end.

Thanks

None is really stable if you have a big load on it, but thickness
makes up for it, if you don't mind gluing together a couple of sheets.

If the situation will handle 1-1/2" of thickness, I'd use two sheets
of 3/4"melamine-covered MDF, glued back-to-back. The melamine on BOTH
sides of the sandwich will give you a lot of stability from humidity
changes; the 1-1/2" thickness is stiff, and it looks nice.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:06:10 AM UTC-4, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Guys,

I hate to mention the topic of wood, but I want to mount a 3D-printer on a flat stable base so I can move it around without disturbing the delicate (poor design) setup.

I cannot afford a 24" square piece of 1/2" aluminum and cannot lift a 24" square piece of 1/2" mild steel.

For flat and stable, I would try talking to the guys that sell granite counter tops. It seems to me that a sink cut out would come close to what you want.

Next stop would be a glass shop. A glass door would be pretty good if it were cut down.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message

Guys,

I hate to mention the topic of wood, but I want to mount a 3D-printer on a
flat stable base so I can move it around without disturbing the delicate
(poor design) setup.

I cannot afford a 24" square piece of 1/2" aluminum and cannot lift a 24"
square piece of 1/2" mild steel.

So, I am looking at 3/4" MDF, OSB and plywood, but open to other helpful
suggestions, but low cost is the operative.

Which of those options is likely to be the most stable? The machine has many
brackets for attaching to a base, so flexing and stability is at the pointy
end.

Thanks

Well, a 2'x4' piece of 1/2" thick 6061 is only $34 from www.mcmaster.com
(put 9246K491 in the search box), plus shipping, of course. Cutting it in
half is a bit of work and noise :-). For comparison, the 1/2" aluminum
plate will be about as stiff as a 1-3/8" thick piece of MDF.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:06:10 AM UTC-4, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Guys,

I hate to mention the topic of wood, but I want to mount a 3D-printer on a flat stable base so I can move it around without disturbing the delicate (poor design) setup.

I cannot afford a 24" square piece of 1/2" aluminum and cannot lift a 24" square piece of 1/2" mild steel.

So, I am looking at 3/4" MDF, OSB and plywood, but open to other helpful suggestions, but low cost is the operative.

Which of those options is likely to be the most stable? The machine has many brackets for attaching to a base, so flexing and stability is at the pointy end.

Thanks

I think that 2' x 4' piece price is actually for 2" X 4'.
OnlineMetal.com has a 1/2" x 2' x 2' for $200

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What Ed said except that I would add that the stiffness can also be
increased quite a bit without adding as much weight if strips of MDF
that are 3/4" thick but 2" or 3" wide were glued edge on to the
underside of a piece of 3/4" thick MDF. You could glue the strips to
the underside around the perimeter and wherever the machine is
fastened to the top side, which I imagine is probably a square or
rectangular shape. This would leave much more area exposed to humidity
though and the changes that can cause. If humidity changing is
problem though you could seal the base with some sort of sealer made
for the purpose. You could probably find a can of sealer for free on
Freecycle, if it's available in your area. Maybe even find a base for
free.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 4:42:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I think that 2' x 4' piece price is actually for 2" X 4'.
OnlineMetal.com has a 1/2" x 2' x 2' for $200

Why not actually go to McMaster Carr and see if Carl was mistaken?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I think that 2' x 4' piece price is actually for 2" X 4'.
OnlineMetal.com has a 1/2" x 2' x 2' for $200

Why not actually go to McMaster Carr and see if Carl was mistaken?

Dan

I was, sigh. My glasses needed cleaning, yeah, that's it, my glasses were
dirty :-). Sorry. If you are in a decent sized city call the local metal
suppliers and see what they have in their scrap bins. You should be able to
beat the online metals price and also save shipping.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21-Sep-17 11:06 PM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Guys,

I hate to mention the topic of wood, but I want to mount a 3D-printer on a flat stable base so I can move it around without disturbing the delicate (poor design) setup.

I cannot afford a 24" square piece of 1/2" aluminum and cannot lift a 24" square piece of 1/2" mild steel.

So, I am looking at 3/4" MDF, OSB and plywood, but open to other helpful suggestions, but low cost is the operative.

Which of those options is likely to be the most stable? The machine has many brackets for attaching to a base, so flexing and stability is at the pointy end.

Thanks

I wanted a sturdy base for my miniCNC router.
I got two pieces of 19mm MDF board and glued / screwed them together.
The result is very sturdy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Guys,

I hate to mention the topic of wood, but I want to mount a 3D-printer on a flat stable base so I can move it around without disturbing the delicate (poor design) setup.

I cannot afford a 24" square piece of 1/2" aluminum and cannot lift a 24" square piece of 1/2" mild steel.

So, I am looking at 3/4" MDF, OSB and plywood, but open to other helpful suggestions, but low cost is the operative.

Which of those options is likely to be the most stable? The machine has many brackets for attaching to a base, so flexing and stability is at the pointy end.

The MDF might be the flattest and most stable, but it's extremely
susceptible to moisture damage.

Neither the OSB nor ply would be perfectly flat, but you probably
don't need perfect flatness.

Of the 3, I'd probably go with the ply. I love Waterlox Original (a
fairly clear tung oil finish) in satin sheen, so I'd put several coats
over the wood to keep any moisture from warping it.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
Guys,

I hate to mention the topic of wood, but I want to mount a
3D-printer on a flat stable base so I can move it around without
disturbing the delicate (poor design) setup.

I cannot afford a 24" square piece of 1/2" aluminum and cannot lift
a 24" square piece of 1/2" mild steel.

So, I am looking at 3/4" MDF, OSB and plywood, but open to other
helpful suggestions, but low cost is the operative.

Which of those options is likely to be the most stable? The machine
has many brackets for attaching to a base, so flexing and stability
is at the pointy end.

Thanks

You might look for a used tooling plate.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tooling-plate
-jsw