Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manualtransmission?

On 09/20/2017 02:03 PM, Chaya Eve wrote:
Assume the whole pedal travel is, oh I don't know, let's say 12 inches.
The engagement travel is something like an inch it seems.
The rest of the 11 inches aren't doing anything.

Is the clutch linkage mechanical or hydraulic? Get under it and you'll
see some sort of lever sticking out the side of the bellhousing. Have
your wife operate the clutch and see if you are getting a full stroke
and smooth travel.

It really sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging cleanly. It doesn't
take too much drag to make shifting difficult. With the F150 the
throwout bearing was the culprit. It would start to hang up on the nose
of the transmission. At first I thought it was the slave cylinder of the
hydraulic so I replaced it. (And anyway that was a lot easier).

The symptoms were very erratic so sometimes it would work, sometimes
not. I also thought it might be the pivot ball for the lever arm. A
spray of lube and it would work for a while but I think that was just
coincidental. That could be why your miracle oil worked.