Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 22:04:05 +1000, Xeno wrote:

I'm thinking if he doesn't know *anything* about the job, including what
he needs in the way of equipment, it will be *cheaper* for him to pay
someone who does have a clue and, of course, all the requisite equipment.

I just called a random shop who charges $630 for the job, so my thoughts
are that the first $630 are free by way of tools.

Of course, that includes parts, so, let's halve that which means that the
first $300 are for the tools.

At that price, I can afford a specifically designed transmission jack - but
it's still a tool that I won't ever need again (although I know, as you
know, that these things have ways of finding themselves useful in the
future).

My garage is filled to the brim with tools, some of which I bought for
specific jobs which are small, like pickle forks or spring compressors or
special wrenches (I still have curved distributor wrenches from the 70s and
a dwell meter by way of examples of tools just sitting there doing
nothing).

I don't mind buying a tool if it saves me money on the job, but I would
rather not buy a transmission jack that is only going to be used once. For
example, I have a HF motorcyle lift that I only used once. It worked for
that bike but it's long gone so now it just takes up room in my garage.

I do like the idea of the floor jack "transmission saddle" though, as it
will store easily and it goes onto my existing floor jack. I just need to
find one...