Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 00:10:50 -0400, wrote:

I once changed a cast iron Powerglide working on my back under the
car. Darn near killed me.

I do all my maintenance such that my 15-year old cars have never been to a
mechanic, almost.

But I've never messed with is a manual transmission.

I have four jack stands of 6-ton size (which is something like 16 inches).
I also have two ramps, but I almost never use them because the floor jack
is pretty beefy. It goes about 15 inches. It's the costco steel big one,
which I bought about ten years ago (now Costco has aluminum ones that I
salivate over but I don't need a third floor jack).

If you don't have a hoist, at least put the truck up on ramps - I'd
put it up on both ends - front on ramps and rear on stands. Get a
transmission saddle for the floor jack and chain the trans on firmly.

THIS IS GREAT NEW INFORMATION!

I never heard of a "transmission saddle" for a floor jack until this moment!

I never mind buying a tool that I *need* (because it's still cheaper than
paying someone $630+tax to do the clutch); but I don't want to buy a $100
transmission stand if I don't really need it (where I don't need the ten
feet of lift but I do need the ability to hold the transmission down!

If this "transmission saddle" can be bought locally, I'll get it!