Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:05:29 -0600, rbowman wrote:

The Tundra forum, for some reason, contains adults though.

I'm on the Yaris forum and get a little slop over from the Tundras. The
Yaris crew is pretty good although they lean toward coil-overs and CAI
like frustrated ricer racers. Of course the car is used for club racing
in Japan so the goodies exist.

I am not yet on Yaris so I should try them.
Mostly I just want DIYs.
If I could find a DIY for the clutch, that would tell me almost everything.

I did watch a few youtube DIYs and it looks like the general procedure is
something like the following - but the real problem with watching a DIY for
the wrong vehicle is that sometimes little things matter a lot.

For example, if you have to support the engine but you don't think that you
do, or if you have to have a certain sized tool but you don't have it, then
you're stuck at the worst time and place.

Anyway, the "general" procedure seems to be this:
.. While it's on the ground, remove the cabin gear shift mechanism
.. If possible, unbolt the "conning tower" for the shift mechanism
.. Then jackstand the car as high as you can get it (I have 6 ton stands).
.. Remove the drive shaft
.. Remove the slave cylinder
.. Remove the speedometer cable
.. Remove any speed sensors
.. Remove anything else in the way
.. Then support the transmission with a transmission jack
.. Then unbolt the front bell housing

I think that's it.
Did I miss a major step?

One question I have is "will the fluid leak out"?
I think not - but I know that the gearshift lever is open to the fluid.
So if you tip it over, the fluid will certainly come out.

The second question is whether a transmission lift is really needed when
you're in a jackstand situation (so you don't need ten feet of lift).

Can't a floor jack hold the transmission?
I watched one video where a guy wrestled the transmission out by hand.

Must I have a transmission jack?
If I need it I'll get it - but it will only be used once so I'd rather not.