Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default 1930s cast iron downpipe fixings - what are they?

On 20/09/2017 16:00, wrote:
On 20/09/2017 15:28, GB wrote:
On 20/09/2017 14:18,
wrote:

A drain rod would be far too stiff to go round the bend in the shoe.
I've tried shoving plastic 22, 15 and 10mm pipe up - the 22 and 15
are too stiff, the 10 is too small and also gets snagged on the joints.

Maybe stick with the 10mm pipe idea for a minute, and perhaps there's
something you can attach to the end that would keep the pipe more or
less centred and would ride over the joints?Â* Something like a small
water bottle firmly attached with the neck downwards.

And the next question here would probably be: "how do I get a small
plastic bottle out of a cast iron downpipe" ;-)

Hence why I said "firmly attached". You bring it down to the shoe, and
if necessary cut it into bits with your multi tool.

It seems to me that you can discourage all suggestions, with a hearty
sneer, or you can use them constructively to sort out what is, after
all, your problem. I can assure you that I have no pieces of hardwood
stuck in my downpipes.

I'm always amazed that people here are so helpful, when the OP only
gives out a tiny fraction of the information about his problem at the
outset.