Posted to rec.woodworking
JBI JBI is offline

Default how to make wooden glass dome bases airtight?

On 09/19/2017 08:13 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 6:15:54 PM UTC-5, JBI wrote:
I have two small shadowboxes, one made from barnyard wood and the other walnut.
Could I paint the frames with shellac?

Yes. Watch for drips if you brush it on. Sealcoat comes in aerosol/spray cans, also.... may be easier to spray projects as these.

Optional:
The barnwood box, my preference.... I like the weathered-wood look, for some things. Consider leaving it raw wood, no sealing. You can always seal it later. Similar examples: Vertical planter boxes I made for the local Master Gardeners' fund raiser. Scroll right for more pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Sonny

The sealing of the shadow boxes went well. I didn't mention it earlier,
but the two aforementioned ones I already had with insects inside plus
the same moth flake/ silica treatment and they were sure smelling.

I am now left with three unused domes that have either bare wood bases
or in one case, stained. I am thinking of going ahead and applying
shellac to the bases now so that they're ready to go for future sealing,
but I'm wondering if I should not apply shellac over the area where the
dome would be coupled to the base with the silicone? In other words, if
I paint the entire base with the shellac, and not avoid the sealing
area, would the silicone still form a seal with the shellac coated wood?