Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manualtransmission?

On 09/19/2017 08:59 PM, Chaya Eve wrote:
Any idea of how long the clutch lasts?

Depends on the driver.

Is there a way to remove a view plate to VIEW the clutch plate visually?

Not particularly. Sometimes there is a shield on the bottom of the
bellhousing that you can remove. You can't really see much but if a lot
of dust and pieces of lining are present it isn't good news.

What are the symptoms? Is it slipping when you floor the engine at 50
mph or so? Or just hard to engage and shift. My F150 had a appetite for
throwout bearings that gave the latter symptoms. They were good for
about 75k miles. By the time you're to the throwout you're almost to the
clutch do the last time around I replaced it and the pressure plate. I
think it was about $50 for both. Neither were in bad shape but while
you're there it's not much more work.