Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default 1930s cast iron downpipe fixings - what are they?

On 20/09/2017 00:50, wrote:
Some numpty (not me) seems to have dropped a long length of hardwood
down one of the downpipes on my "new" house - presumably when clearing
the hopper some years ago. I need to get the bottom discharge "shoe" off
to get the wood out but it probably hasn't been touched since it was
built (1930s) and I can't work out what the fixings are. I've got the
paint and render off the fixings and the heads seem to be domed, but no
slot or other means of undoing the things.
HELP!

As others have said, I'd agree that the fixings are probably hammered
and the easiest way to remove would be to take the head right off with
an angle grinder.

As others have said, the bottom fixing may well be taking a lot of the
weight from stuff above.

Would also add that parts are cast iron, and potentially more brittle
after 80 years of corrosion.

As others have said, the "socket" joints may well be sealed with putty
which will have gone relatively hard. But, even old putty softens when
heated to ~ 200C with a gas torch or hot air gun. You *might* be able to
separate the sockets with a combination of heat and twisting.

Rather than removing the elbow at the bottom, wouldn't it be better to
tackle the next joint up then you can remove the wood in one piece? Also
you will be working at an easier height.

Another approach, if you can find a reasonable match to the bottom
length of pipe in a recycling place, might just be to destroy the bottom
section. This may be harder than you expect: multiple cuts with angle
grinder, then lump hammer and/or crowbar.

Once one section is broken above or below a joint, it is usually
possible with care to remove the remaining pieces without damaging the
"good" part.