Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default 1930s cast iron downpipe fixings - what are they?

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 20/09/2017 00:50, wrote:
Some numpty (not me) seems to have dropped a long length of hardwood
down one of the downpipes on my "new" house - presumably when clearing
the hopper some years ago. I need to get the bottom discharge "shoe" off
to get the wood out but it probably hasn't been touched since it was
built (1930s) and I can't work out what the fixings are. I've got the
paint and render off the fixings and the heads seem to be domed, but no
slot or other means of undoing the things.

They are normally very large nail like fixings that are hammered into a
wood plug that sits in a recess that is chiselled into the wall.
Basically very difficult to remove. I think in the circumstance I would
be looking at ways of getting the wood out via the same route it went in.

Known as *drive screws* here. Semi hard.

--
Tim Lamb