Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default 1930s cast iron downpipe fixings - what are they?

wrote:
Some numpty (not me) seems to have dropped a long length of hardwood
down one of the downpipes on my "new" house - presumably when clearing
the hopper some years ago. I need to get the bottom discharge "shoe" off
to get the wood out but it probably hasn't been touched since it was
built (1930s) and I can't work out what the fixings are. I've got the
paint and render off the fixings and the heads seem to be domed, but no
slot or other means of undoing the things.
HELP!

They are a slow spiral tough nail. Once in, never(rarely) out! and
certainly not back in again to the same hole.

You "might" be able to dremel a screw driver slot in the domed head and
ease them out by turning at the same time as a pry bar behind the head.
Replace with wall plug and stainless steel screws.
Be prepared for the pipe section to be very heavy.

Good Luck