Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 10:55:29 PM UTC-4, Chaya Eve wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:48:13 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Like Dean, I regularly find lots of repair videos on Youtube for my BMW X5
covering all kinds of repair jobs, from CV Axles to taking the
door panels off. They have sure helped me enormously. Plenty of
them there for other models too. Have you tried looking for
Toyota forums? The BMW forums have threads were people have done
particular repairs and sometimes they even include pics documenting
the whole process. If you're planning on doing your own work and
keeping the vehicle, a Bentley manual or similar is a wise investment
too.

You have a Bimmer, where the people (e.g., on bimmerfest.com/forums) aren't
usually dumb idiotic kids but the 4Runner forum is filled with high school
morons.

In fact, the 4Runner forums are filled to the brim with children who can't
keep on topic to save their lives. It's disgusting how childish they are.

The minute you ask them to measure something they go off the charts, saying
that you should go to the dealer.

It's the only forum that ever advises always going to the dealer for
example, since they can't comprehend the concept of sourcing better parts
of better materials after measuring sizes.

I know what you're talking about, but believe me, there is plenty
of stupidity and blind allegiance on the BMW forums too. I saw
a recent thread where someone was trying to figure out the diameters
of the various vacuum hoses so that they can be obtained locally
at a parts store or sourced online. He quickly got responses like
if you can't afford a vacuum hose, you shouldn't be driving a BMW.
They didn't much like me over there, because when there is some
obvious problems that shouldn't exist in a BMW, I point it out.
Like having window regulators that are crap. I've had three of
them fail, one went while the car was sitting in the driveway,
sending the glass crashing down, breaking into pieces. And others
have had similar experiences with those, yet the BMW diehards
salute the BMW flag and make excuses. "It's a performance car"!
ROFL.

There probably are more people there though that even if they
are dummies, they take a lot of interest in screwing around
with their toy, so they make more videos, posts, etc.

Another example of a dummy, on that forum some guy posted pics
of how to change an alternator. Now mind you, the alternator
on the X5 is like most today, it's fairly well buried, lots of
stuff near it, DC cable connected down under, where you can't
see it, etc. So, he tells people he didn't bother to first
disconnect the battery. He had a pic of the live cable disconnected
from the alternator and hanging by a string from the hood.
I couldn't imagine taking a socket wrench down under there
metal all around, to take the nut off, with it live.
I pointed out how dangerous and dumb that is and immediately
got arguments like, "but even if it does hit something, it will
just spark a bit....." I'll do some repairs, like maybe changing
an electrical component with a simple connector, without disconnecting
the battery as the manual tells you. But the alternator cable?

I don't think any of the kids on the 4Runner forum even own a mic!
(toyota-4runner.org)

The Tundra forum, for some reason, contains adults though.

Yes, I think that's a lot of the problem. Most of them are 20 and
think they know it all. They are probably a lot more likely to be
posting than 50 year olds.