Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 00:30:51 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
wrote:

How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

I have never done it, but it's generally cheaper to buy the tools and do it
yourself than to pay someone else. Plus you generally get better parts.

I've never done a clutch.
This is a Toyota 4Runner 1998 2WD with the W59 5-speed.

Anyone have any idea what I'll need besides a transmission lift?

Have you done a clutch?
How hard is it?

If you ask what work I've done, I've done cooling system overhauls, and
alternator replacements and the like when needed.

I've done hundreds of clutches. Being a RWD vehicle it is a lot
easier than a FWD or AWD or 4WD.
You will need a set of good metric sockets and wrenches and
preferanly a hoist. Changing tansmissions on your back under a vehicle
is a PAIN. You will also need a pilot alignment tool - and if you
haven't done much of this kind of work a package of BandAids wouldn't
hurt,

As for quality of parts??? You only get what you pay for and the OEM
clutch on a Toyota is about as good as it gets, for general purpose
use. If you go for the cheapest job, you could end up with junk