Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_9_] Gerry[_9_] is offline

Default Just Used Some of That Cute Little Rebar

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:03:44 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I made a new stand for the grinders with a truck wheel filled with concrete
as the base. When I went to move the completed base the bottom plug of
concrete fell right out of the wheel. Well to be more accurate it stuck
better to the floor than to the wheel. Looked beautiful from the top, but
the bottom was hollow. Oops. If I do another concrete filled wheel base
I'll do it on a piece scrap plywood instead of on the shop floor. LOL.

The weight was probably still plenty, but if a little heavy is good then
heavier is better. I welded a few pieces of that rebar salvaged from the
washer salvage project into the span across the bottom side of the wheel and
filled it with concrete with the bottom side up. A quick level and trowel
and it looks good. I used a piece of granite counter top to make sure it
was flat, and then when it was almost set troweled it smooth.

Now I should have a grinder stand I won't have to stand on when I am
grinding.

I used a couple of brake drums connected with all thread to sleeves of
1/2" pipe welded around a length of 3" pipe then built my ginder on
top.