Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just Used Some of That Cute Little Rebar

I made a new stand for the grinders with a truck wheel filled with concrete
as the base. When I went to move the completed base the bottom plug of
concrete fell right out of the wheel. Well to be more accurate it stuck
better to the floor than to the wheel. Looked beautiful from the top, but
the bottom was hollow. Oops. If I do another concrete filled wheel base
I'll do it on a piece scrap plywood instead of on the shop floor. LOL.

The weight was probably still plenty, but if a little heavy is good then
heavier is better. I welded a few pieces of that rebar salvaged from the
washer salvage project into the span across the bottom side of the wheel and
filled it with concrete with the bottom side up. A quick level and trowel
and it looks good. I used a piece of granite counter top to make sure it
was flat, and then when it was almost set troweled it smooth.

Now I should have a grinder stand I won't have to stand on when I am
grinding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:03:44 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Grin...made a mold did you?

Good save!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

***********

Beautiful concrete casting of the face of that wheel. Now I need to figure
out which hammer I want to use to bust it up. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I used a couple of brake drums connected with all thread to sleeves of
1/2" pipe welded around a length of 3" pipe then built my ginder on
top.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

************

Belt grinder? This one is for a pair of bench grinders.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I made a new stand for the grinders with a truck wheel filled with concrete
as the base. When I went to move the completed base the bottom plug of
concrete fell right out of the wheel. Well to be more accurate it stuck
better to the floor than to the wheel. Looked beautiful from the top, but
the bottom was hollow. Oops. If I do another concrete filled wheel base
I'll do it on a piece scrap plywood instead of on the shop floor. LOL.

Ouch! Did you spend hours of chipping, or did it finally come up?

The weight was probably still plenty, but if a little heavy is good then
heavier is better. I welded a few pieces of that rebar salvaged from the
washer salvage project into the span across the bottom side of the wheel and
filled it with concrete with the bottom side up. A quick level and trowel
and it looks good. I used a piece of granite counter top to make sure it
was flat, and then when it was almost set troweled it smooth.

Now I should have a grinder stand I won't have to stand on when I am
grinding.

Since it's easier to move around, I prefer a strip of plywood bolted
to the grinder or buffer stand. That's a heck of a lot easier to move
around, too. My grinder: an old Delta 1" belt/6" disc sander combo
with a 120 grit zirconia belt on it.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I made a new stand for the grinders with a truck wheel filled with concrete
as the base. When I went to move the completed base the bottom plug of
concrete fell right out of the wheel. Well to be more accurate it stuck
better to the floor than to the wheel. Looked beautiful from the top, but
the bottom was hollow. Oops. If I do another concrete filled wheel base
I'll do it on a piece scrap plywood instead of on the shop floor. LOL.

Ouch! Did you spend hours of chipping, or did it finally come up?

********
Haven't messed with it yet. Figure I'll probably hit it with the bucket
loader first.

The weight was probably still plenty, but if a little heavy is good then
heavier is better. I welded a few pieces of that rebar salvaged from the
washer salvage project into the span across the bottom side of the wheel
and
filled it with concrete with the bottom side up. A quick level and trowel
and it looks good. I used a piece of granite counter top to make sure it
was flat, and then when it was almost set troweled it smooth.

Now I should have a grinder stand I won't have to stand on when I am
grinding.

Since it's easier to move around, I prefer a strip of plywood bolted
to the grinder or buffer stand. That's a heck of a lot easier to move
around, too. My grinder: an old Delta 1" belt/6" disc sander combo
with a 120 grit zirconia belt on it.

********
This actually hasn't proven to be all that much of a deal to move around. I
just tilt it and roll it on the edge of the rim. Given it feels like over
200 pounds (from when I turned it back over) its surprisingly easy to move
around that way.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
-- Carlos A. Urbizo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 12:50:04 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

I made a new stand for the grinders with a truck wheel filled with concrete
as the base. When I went to move the completed base the bottom plug of
concrete fell right out of the wheel. Well to be more accurate it stuck
better to the floor than to the wheel. Looked beautiful from the top, but
the bottom was hollow. Oops. If I do another concrete filled wheel base
I'll do it on a piece scrap plywood instead of on the shop floor. LOL.

Ouch! Did you spend hours of chipping, or did it finally come up?

********
Haven't messed with it yet. Figure I'll probably hit it with the bucket
loader first.

"And when it _did_ break loose, there was enough play in the bucket
and arm to toss it through the dining room wall. Oops." Ayup, it
sounds like a "Hold my beer and watch this" story to me. gd&r

[...]

I wouldn't want to have to pop it up onto and off of a tailgate.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
-- Carlos A. Urbizo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

*********

That's what the front loader is for, although I could probably still load it
into a pickup truck by hand if I had to. I just might have to rest for a
while afterward.