Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default Soda Maker: How long does it take carbon dioxide to diffuse into4C cold water at 30psi?

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 12:01:17 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 12:11:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 12:42:58 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 06:46:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:20:07 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I find it hard that the accumulated smog output from small engines
would be significant, especially when compared to automobiles,
industrial output, and bovine flatulence, but so it is written into
the law.

Not so much chain-saws as two-stroke engines in general.

https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/...delinecom.html

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I'm still having a hard time believing it.
The web site mentioned in the press release:
http://www.insideline.com
has disappeared and is being redirected to edmunds.com. I wasn't able
to find the actual report. Nothing on the Edmunds site under
"research". However, the video is still on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxQIHoTmxs
Seems to be for real, but I still would like to see the numbers and
details.

Interesting, I will observe that I put two or three gallons
of gas through my chain saw in a year. And about 500 through my car.
George H.

The video claims that a Ryobi leaf blower belches pollutants at about
8 times the rate of the automobile. That's serious. I can't verify
the method used, but I do know something about garden equipment. Ryobi
is near last in terms of quality. I would be a bit less skeptical if
they had used name brand equipment for the comparison.

"Regulations for Emissions from Small Equipment & Tools" (EPA)
https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emissions-vehicles-and-engines/regulations-emissions-small-equipment-tools

"National Emissions from Lawn and Garden Equipment"
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-09/documents/banks.pdf

"California Weighs Tougher Emissions Rules For Gas-Powered Garden
Equipment" (Feb 2017)
http://www.npr.org/2017/02/28/517576431/california-weighs-tougher-emissions-rules-for-gas-powered-garden-equipment

I've discussed the situation with the local saw shop mechanic. He
attends the various factory training seminars where emissions issues
are discussed. He claims that if the feds or California enact any of
the proposed emission standards, most everything sold (except very
small engines) will need to switch to 4 cycle engines to comply. Part
of the logic is to make the standards 10x more stringent that required
on the assumption that in the field, emissions will increase with the
age of the machine. Husqvarna has delayed switching to 4 stroke with
their X-Torq engine, which offers a substantial reduction in
emissions, but not enough to meet the proposed standards.
http://www.husqvarna.com/int/international-microsite/about-husqvarna/environmental-responsibility/
He also notes that battery powered tools are a slick way around the
emissions problems. I've been thinking of converting an AC powered
electric chain saw to running on battery power. Yet another projet.

Battery powered is certainly an option. I've got a few mikita
battery powered tools. The wife couldn't use the chain saw but wanted
to trim up small stuff.. (say a max of ~4" diameter.) I bought her a
makita battery powered chain saw*. Now even I use. It's lighter and
only runs when your are cutting something. I

George H.
*as a birthday present.. I know I'm a bit of a stinker buying tools
for the wife for her birthday, but in my defense she really likes it!
And the trails through our woods are well manicured.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D