Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Weller PU-1D / TCP-1 / PT-H6 parts info

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 01:07:50 +1000, Chris Jones
wrote:

snip

Well, that's a very kind offer and it's the thought that counts Chris.
;-)

Ok I dug out my box of weller parts

I guess I've been lucky till now. ;-)

and I did find the old barrel. (I
expect that it would cost a bit to post though as it won't fit in a
letter. Let me know if you are seriously interested.)

Ok, thanks again and let me see what I can do this end before I waste
your time and effort etc.

I also found the old-style dead element and some new-style elements and
barrels. The new-style barrel does go onto the old-style element, but
even with the thread tightened all the way, it does not grip the
soldering bit tightly so it wobbles and probably doesn't conduct heat
all that well. I'd say it is not usable like that.

Ah.

Checking the existing tip in my original element (without the barrel)
it seems to fit it reasonably well but with a bit of slack. Fitting my
barrel doesn't help as the tip just falls through it. ;-(

And whilst I can find PT-H6 tips (on eBay etc), I wondered if anyone
knew of an alternative that might be better for slightly bigger jobs
and with 60/40 please?

I pretty much only use two sorts, I think they are PTDD7 and PTAA7

PT-DD7 part number 0054127799, (Farnell 416-435, their picture is wrong)
and PT-P7 (part number 0054134799)

Thanks for those Chris.

not sure any more as I mostly use a Metcal these days.

Googles Metcal 'Metcal PS-900 Soldering System, £185.39', ouch!

MX-500 actually, even worse!

gulp!

Erm, I don't know if mine has aged hotter or somesuch but just
yesterday (and with the tip falling out) I easily soldered some mains
cable to some solid metal terminals (inside an IEC plug) with the .8mm
tip with no real issues?

Well, I have some 6 and 7 and 8, and I prefer the 7.

Noted and I've ordered a couple of 7's.

Cheers, T i m