Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default door to door salespests

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 04:20:29 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 21:34:49 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 06:49:49 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

C cells seem a bit OTT

Why does it?

Because C cells were for larger short curent usage, those and D cells were standard in the days you had to drive a mechanical a solendiod that hit two bells alterantively.

Bing bong!

https://www.friedland.co.uk/EN-GB/CH...ages/D107.aspx

That doesn't indicate recharchable cells are required.

Correct.

Cs & Ds were used for long life with interminatend discharge.

Correct.

It just seems a bit of a waste to use C recharables that's all.

You sound like a Brexiteer ... jumping to conclusions without any idea
of the facts (it seems). ;-(

I have the facts

Nope, you still don't ...

and those are that rechargable battereis arenl;t really an effcicinet power source for door bells

They seem to be here?

it overkill

IYHO I'm guessing?

it's like building a nuclear generator in yuor home to recharge the batteries.

And what if you can? What if you have one laying around?

Can be done of course

Yup.

but not very logical.

When you don't know that facts, anything can appear illogical. But
again, like most Brexieerts you don't actually ask the right questions
or listen to the answers.

you could use rechargble AAAs

I don't need to, I can use the rechargeable C cells?

OK for me they'd have seemed a bit pricey for the use they are put to.

Pricier than multiple alkaline cells?

YES. about 10X partly because you need 2 sets one in use the other being charged.

At your prices though?

We have over a dozen DMMs we stopped using partly because they used 6 X C cells.
C cells are about 4x the price of AA/AAA.

And one set of alkaline can be more expensive than the same in Ni-Mh.

I've never seen that price structure of course

Of course you haven't ... like I said, you simply don't have all the
facts.

if you order your alkaline AAs gift wrapped from harrods you may well be paying more than most do for their rechargable Cs but most won't be doing that.

Nor will I (I have plenty of rechargeables).

you could also use a solar panel to recharge the batteries.

I could, but it's much easier just recharging them as required than
buying, fitting and wiring a solar panel.

So you need 4 in the bell unit

Correct.

and 4 on charge

'On charge'? No, charged when taken out and re-charged just before
they replace the old ones.

soi two sets as I said.

Quite, but they aren't 'on charge' so not costing anything in between.

that's about £30+ worth of batteries just seems a lot to me.

Yes, it would be at your prices.

Well where do you get 8 recharble C cells from .

Ah, *now* you are interested in some facts? ....

As it happens, I bought most of them from Lidl when they were reduced
so paid no more than £2.49 for them, and that might have been a pair!
(4000mAh Eneloop type).

Even if I hadn't bought those, I have plenty of all sizes of
rechargeables so could have used any that I already had, rather than
going out and replacing alkaline at a few quid a shot (for any worth
having).

But hey, let's not let facts cloud your assumptions and personal
opinion eh!

Cheers, T i m