Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] knuckle-dragger@nowhere.gov is offline

Default $1000 phone

trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 11:07:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

For phone functions (talking) my wife and I have identical flip phones
which cost all of $200 a year for both (carrier cost) and they do text
messaging too..wow. I only found out about the latter when my son, the
proud owner of about 4 super-duper smart phones, borrowed one to send
a really urgent (!) text and they were all on charge or at home. I had
to suppress a giggle. Don't you people have spare fully-charged
batteries?

There is supposed to be a study on what people use their cell phones
for but I've never been able to find it. Maybe Apple paid to have it
suppressed? Any ideas?

I just gave you some good examples. Being able to reply to emails from
anywhere is another one.

You miss the point. I too can dream up examples where people "might"
use a cell phone. The study that I saw referenced an ongoing
categorized list containing quantities of people over a period of
time who (say):

Talked to b/f g/f about a previous date,
Made arrangements for a future date,
Moaned about the customers at their workplace,
Made appointments with Dr, Dentist, Optician, etc,
Gave excuses for failure to get to work on time,
Ordered a pizza/big Mac etc
Called in an order for a product (salesman type at the customer's
business),
Rang for a tow truck,
and on and on and on.

A few of these above are good use for a cell phone: the rest are a
failure of inter-personal relations, especially when they're done in
text messaging.

As to your description of the restaurant use. Yikes! A discount? Yikes
again. Remind me never to eat with you g. Who was is who said: "If
you have to ask the price you can't afford it"? I think he was talking
about a yacht but a similar rule could apply to food. If the
restaurant applies a discount it's saying: "We want customers who
worry more about the cost than the quality of the food. We'll just
shove that past-its-prime fish off to them. They'll be counting their
saved dollars and they'll never notice."

Your trial of new cuisines is commendable but go to restaurants that
are the top of the line within the category. Or at least above average
as best you can determine. Look at food quality not cost. Very often
they track though.

---
http://www.avg.com