Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default door to door salespests

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 15:31:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 13:47:09 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 03:47:41 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 11:20:42 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 02:52:26 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 08:12:29 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message , Bob Eager
writes
I am
torn between a voice intoning "the bell has been activated,
please
wait"
and the start of 'Time' from Dark Side of the Moon.

Much more fun to have excerpts from random tracks :

Dave Edmonds, I hear you knocking Anita Ward, Ring my bell
Little
Richard, Keep a knocking A loop of 'Go Away' from Go Away Little
Girl

I'd have "Hey dude visitors" from southparks first episode anal
probe.
You can buy kits that allow you to record your own messages.

I can do that anyway. It's just an MP3 on the server. Pick up an
internal phone, dial 898 and record the message. Run a shell script
convert formats and rename it.

I wouldn't need to run a server to do that, I'd use a chip to store
the
audio data.

Of course. So would I if that's all it did.

That's all I'd really want my doorbellk to do.

But it's integrated with the
PBX, and the bell push actually rings all the phones in the house .

I'd hate that, not know or being sure if someone was phoning me or
someone
at the front door.

Trivial to have a different ring tone for the two different types of
thing.

but ringtones can only be activated from a phonecall,

Nope, any decent system can produce it from any input.

so your doorbell would have to activate
a phone call to your mobile number

Nope, Plenty of the better system allow a contact closure
to trigger it too. In spades with alarm systems.

and that number would be fixed

Nope, most obviously when the door button is actually
done with what is a phone with no keyboard and screen
etc. Trivially buyable for peanuts now. It has its own number.
And no fixed monthly cost either.

unless yuo could use your contact app could in some way
recongnise the person at the door then ID that person with
the person ringing the doorbell.

All it has to do is is work out someone pressed the bell button.

Or even have a movement sensor at the front door.

Or a vibration sensor on the door so
that it detects when someone knocks.

My mobile phone announces who is calling too,

Only because it knows who is calling you from their phone.

No reason why the system can't be designed to say 'front door' when
someone presses the bell there or the PIR detects movement there.

If I call someone from another phone the reciving
phone doesnlt know it's me it thinks I'm someone else.

Depends on how you call. The better systems send an image
of the person making the call from the selfy camera when
making the call so you can see who is calling whatever
phone they use to call with.

very handy when you are doing something and prefer to
decide whether to answer immediately or call them back later.

Providing your sure it the same person who owes or usese that phone.

Not if it send a photo of who is using the phone.

When I get a phone call from a friend I've no idea whether
ehe's ringing or she's ringing until I hear a voice.

Because you are too stupid to use the best calling apps.

(and a garden bell). Guarantees we
will hear it. Also logs the date and time.

That would be useful but if I were going that far I'd go
back to a webcam on the door so recording everything.

I'd use the surveillance cameras instead.

I would do to if it weren't for the high price.

Peanuts compared with what the house is worth.