Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default battery tools are crap

On 13/09/2017 16:52, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 16:40:18 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
GB wrote:
On 13/09/2017 15:48, Broadback wrote:

+1 Bill. I purchased a Dyson battery vacuum, it was fine when new,
but
now does not run for l;long and it needs recharging.

I'm still using a mains drill I bought 40 years ago. In the meantime,
I've had to throw away loads of battery powered ones (mostly NiCd it
has to be said), where the tool still works but the battery is
knackered.

Still got the Black and Decker mains drill I got with petrol coupons 38
years ago. It works fine.
The Bosh cordless one that cost £160 nine years is almost useless now and
has not been used much.

Is it the drill or the batteries that are useless, they are two differnt things ?

Indeed. The first really good cordless drill I bought in 2003 (18V
Makita Combi with three NiMh 2.6Ah batts) worked flawlessly until about
2011, where the batts started to die.

I bought it a set of three replacement batteries in 2012, and those have
recently got to their end of life. Not quite as good a life span as the
original set, although the usage pattern is different, and I also now
use the same set on an impact driver - so they get more use than the
first set.

This time I pondered for while whether to replace them again, or whether
to switch to Li-Ion. In the end I decided that a twin pack of combi
drill and ID plus a pair of 5Ah Li-ion batts and charger could be had
for not much more than the price of the old style batts alone, it made
sense to switch to the new ones.

I also decided to standardise on that format for 18V stuff going
forward, and so sold the 14.4V DeWalt kit I had (angle drill and
circular saw), and bought body only Makita replacements.

--
Cheers,

John.

---