Old September 13th 17, 03:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default battery tools are crap

It sounds so attractive! No power cord! Use it where there's no mains!
But battery tools are rubbish compared to 110V or mains ones. Now I
don't do site work any more I can buy mains powered tools, and what a
revelation they are!

Firstly there's the fact that a mains powered tool can cost less than a
replacement battery. For instance a battery for my reciprocating saw
would have been £120. A new mains powered saw was £110.

Then there's the fact that battery tools run out of power just when you
don't want them to. So have two or three batteries and run mains for the
charger out to where your working ? Give over!

Then there's the fact that battery tools are always underpowered. You
pay more than twice the price for less than half the power. Even the
bigger battery tools tend to be rated at 300 to 450W, whereas the mains
equivalents are usually 1kW+.

And what a difference having adequate power makes! The job is so much
easier. Mains powered tools just glide through the work. The battery
equivalent would be slowing chugging along, then stopping due to a flat
battery.

Why people buy battery tools to use at home I really don't know.
Ignorance of the customer plus the vendor's sales hype I guess. Thinking
about it, I bet a lot of people who buy a battery drill have never used
an electric drill before, so they won't realise how limited their new
toy is.

Bill

Old September 13th 17, 03:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Well, sursprising as it may seem I'm in agreement to some extent.
However *some* cordless tools are good and useful. The ones I use
almost daily are my 10.8 volt Li cordless drill and driver. Handy,
light, much faster than a manual screwdriver and work all around our 9
acres, on the boat, etc. etc.

--
Chris Green
·
Old September 13th 17, 04:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:31:19 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

[...]

Horses for courses.

I use a battery drill for winding the legs on my caravan, for example.

I also found a battery drill far easier than a mains drill for fixing the
very large tin roof on the very large shed. No trailing cables to drag
around.

A battery impact driver is also a tool of choice because you aren't tied
down to a cable.

Anything requiring serious grunt, such as sawing, SDS drilling and the
like is much better using mains. Angle grinders!

Anyway, the local builders use a mix of mains and battery tools depending
on use case.

I think you are trying too hard in your last paragraph; a lot of DIYers
here use battery tools and quite a few have power tools as well, and have
used mains power tools for yeah these many years.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old September 13th 17, 04:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
It sounds so attractive! No power cord! Use it where there's no mains!
But battery tools are rubbish compared to 110V or mains ones. Now I
don't do site work any more I can buy mains powered tools, and what a
revelation they are!

Firstly there's the fact that a mains powered tool can cost less than a
replacement battery. For instance a battery for my reciprocating saw
would have been 120. A new mains powered saw was 110.

Then there's the fact that battery tools run out of power just when you
don't want them to. So have two or three batteries and run mains for the
charger out to where your working ? Give over!

I have a tool battery charger that runs off 12v - from the car.

Then there's the fact that battery tools are always underpowered. You
pay more than twice the price for less than half the power. Even the
bigger battery tools tend to be rated at 300 to 450W, whereas the mains
equivalents are usually 1kW+.

And what a difference having adequate power makes! The job is so much
easier. Mains powered tools just glide through the work. The battery
equivalent would be slowing chugging along, then stopping due to a flat
battery.

Why people buy battery tools to use at home I really don't know.
Ignorance of the customer plus the vendor's sales hype I guess. Thinking
about it, I bet a lot of people who buy a battery drill have never used
an electric drill before, so they won't realise how limited their new
toy is.

I started with amisn ones - there was no other choice, but the convenience
of batterry tools is supreme.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 13th 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Just reminded me that our electrician used battery tools.

Apart from the ease of screwing in sockets etc. with a small driver, there
is the little issue of what you do when the power is off :-)

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old September 13th 17, 04:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Sep 2017 14:08:30 GMT, David wrote:

snip

Anything requiring serious grunt, such as sawing, SDS drilling and the
like is much better using mains.

snip

Daughter bought a Lidl 18V Li-Ion drill, jigsaw and circular saw and
I'd have to say they are all pretty good.

The one that surprised me was the circular saw and I've borrowed it
quite a few times now and for cutting some fairly serious wood (like
decking).

We were using the jigsaw yesterday and it's as 'capable as any mains
powered saw I've used.

Because she got the 3 devices at the same time and so also got 3
chargers and batteries, it's rare that you would run out of battery on
the grounds you wouldn't typically (in many d-i-y roles) be using all
3 tools at the same time.

I used the circular saw to slice up an old shed into manageable lumps
(retaining most of the long lengths of good batten) and whilst it was
only (mostly) going though matchwood, I think we did it all on just
one battery.

We were working in a back ally so mains wasn't an easy option.

But then I've got a couple and seen a good few more new looking
battery tools that weren't worth a light.

Horses for courses etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I have an old cheap / market 12V Nicad powered drill that was
'big'. It only had a smallish motor that span fast though a reasonable
gearbox but it felt pretty unstoppable in use (and abuse). When the
batteries died I stripped one and ran a 3m HD 12V cable out the back
and with a pair of crocodile clips and so can run it from any 12V
source / battery.

So, whilst not *as* portable as it once was, it can still be used away
from mains and for a pretty long time. ;-)
Old September 13th 17, 04:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2017 15:19, David wrote:
[...]

+1 Bill. I purchased a Dyson battery vacuum, it was fine when new, but

now does not run for l;long and it needs recharging.
Old September 13th 17, 05:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/09/2017 15:48, Broadback wrote:

+1 Bill. I purchased a Dyson battery vacuum, it was fine when new, but

now does not run for l;long and it needs recharging.

I'm still using a mains drill I bought 40 years ago. In the meantime,
I've had to throw away loads of battery powered ones (mostly NiCd it has
to be said), where the tool still works but the battery is knackered.
Old September 13th 17, 05:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 13/09/2017 15:48, Broadback wrote:

+1 Bill. I purchased a Dyson battery vacuum, it was fine when new,
but

now does not run for l;long and it needs recharging.

I'm still using a mains drill I bought 40 years ago. In the meantime,
I've had to throw away loads of battery powered ones (mostly NiCd it
has to be said), where the tool still works but the battery is
knackered.

Still got the Black and Decker mains drill I got with petrol coupons 38
years ago. It works fine.
The Bosh cordless one that cost 160 nine years is almost useless now and
has not been used much.

Old September 13th 17, 05:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

While there is plenty of truth in some aspects of this, as a general
statement is not really supportable IMHO.

A more nuanced answer might be that many battery tools are crap, however
some are excellent, but don't ignore mains one for certain classes of
tool or for certain applications.

On 13/09/2017 14:31, Bill Wright wrote:

It sounds so attractive! No power cord! Use it where there's no mains!
But battery tools are rubbish compared to 110V or mains ones. Now I
don't do site work any more I can buy mains powered tools, and what a
revelation they are!

Firstly there's the fact that a mains powered tool can cost less than a
replacement battery. For instance a battery for my reciprocating saw
would have been £120. A new mains powered saw was £110.

Yup, price you can't argue with - mains wins every time.

Then there's the fact that battery tools run out of power just when you
don't want them to. So have two or three batteries and run mains for the
charger out to where your working ? Give over!

I have never really found that a problem with decent batteries, and
having enough of them.

Then there's the fact that battery tools are always underpowered. You

That does not need to be true. Many have more than adequate power, but
you need be a bit selective as to what you are doing and where you are
doing it.

pay more than twice the price for less than half the power. Even the
bigger battery tools tend to be rated at 300 to 450W, whereas the mains
equivalents are usually 1kW+.

Many tools don't require more than a few hundred W - even in mains form.

And what a difference having adequate power makes! The job is so much
easier. Mains powered tools just glide through the work. The battery
equivalent would be slowing chugging along, then stopping due to a flat
battery.

Again it depends on the tool. I have used battery tools that perform as
well or better than mains, as well as some that are vastly inferior.

Why people buy battery tools to use at home I really don't know.

In my case, convenience, and the ability to do things that you can't do
with mains tools.

Ignorance of the customer plus the vendor's sales hype I guess. Thinking
about it, I bet a lot of people who buy a battery drill have never used
an electric drill before, so they won't realise how limited their new
toy is.

An electric drill is perhaps a poor example - I doubt I have used my
conventional mains drills more than a couple of times in the last
decade. They offer no more useful power than my various cordless tools
while being significant more cumbersome, have vastly inferior speed
controls and in some cases lack reverse. I keep them however since there
may be times where one wants to do that would be a task well suited to
the mains tool. When the cordless drill won't hack it, its usually time
to reach for the SDS (corded in my case).

--
Cheers,

John.