Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] knuckle-dragger@nowhere.gov is offline

Default $1000 phone

trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 9:08:45 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 9/12/2017 1:21 AM, Andy wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/inve...one/index.html

What do you thing ?

Andy

Smart phones are just computers with a phone ap. I have a Tracfone flip
phone costing me $150 for 2 years service. Just want a phone. For
computer I have desktop where work is easy and doesn't require little
bitty screen and typing.

The downside of course is that your desktop doesn't fit into a pocket
and therefor you don't have it with you. I use my smartphone when out
and about all the time.

Really? When I leave home I usually know where I'm going, how to get
there, what I'm going to do when I get there, and how to get home.

From pulling up info on products when in a
store,

You don't know anything about the product beforehand? Maybe you're one
of those impulse buyers. It might take me six computer-hours spread
over a couple of weeks for any sizeable purchase. Not time I want to
spend staring at a itsy-bitsy screen in some store. Further don't the
store people have all the information on their product? (They might
have to look up their website for you but at least it'll be on a
reasonably-sized screen.)

to finding restaurant menus and hours for those near me,

Huh? Maybe if you're on vacation. How many of those do you take each
year?

to getting directions either driving or walking, finding hotels near
me,

You just suddenly get the urge to spend the night in a hotel? Oh, I
see. That hooker doesn't already have a room g.

finding gas at the lowest prices nearby.

Maybe if you're in FL at the moment.

I have Yelp to check
out restaurants, see if they are any good.

Oh, yeah. Yelp's really reliable. Again on vacation maybe.

Plus I can get texts
wherever I am.

You mean text messages? Not useful text like the User Manual for the
Smooler-Cooler refrigerator that's making horrible grinding
noises...oops that's at home just near your Super-Duper printer
attached to your large sized Desktop monitor.

Then there are the other fun apps, like FlightRadar24, where I can
see aircraft in the air, what plane, where they came from and going
to, etc.

I can watch grass grow for the same thrill.

Has it replaced the desktop? No. But between tablets and smartphones,
the sales of desktops peaked 3 years ago and have been declining since.
Intel is lucky they are king of servers, that's where all the profits
are coming from. They badly missed the phone market, ignored it.
They should have bought Qualcomm back in the early days.

As for $1000 phone, I recently bought a ZTE Max XL, 6" high res screen,
4000 mah battery, USB C connector, fast charging, 2GB ram, 16GB Flash,
finger print sensor,
Android Nougat (scheduled for Oreo upgrade). It cost me $100. About
the only possible thing additional I might need would be more Flash
and I can add an SD card for not much cost. I'm sure that $1000 iphone
has some more bells and whistles, but the value proposition sure isn't
there for me.

I must admit that some of what you point out might be useful on
vacation including a GPS function. I really hate my 10 year-old
(about) Garmin and much prefer Google maps. Of course this may be an
unfair conclusion biased by the size of my Desktop and on functions
that I'm not sure even exist. For example, (keeping it in your area)
I'd like to go from Princeton NJ to Richmond VA avoiding Washington DC
and only on non-expressway roads. Show me the route and then let me
change portions of it. Keep a changing total of time and mileage.

Yeah, I too might like Yelp or Trip Advisor on vacation and Google too
but most of these things I can do back at the hotel on my laptop.

So I could pay for a phone to do all this but I'd only use it for
(say) a week a year. Can I rent the phone and any necessary software
for that week? OK, I'll spring for a month but that's it.

For phone functions (talking) my wife and I have identical flip phones
which cost all of $200 a year for both (carrier cost) and they do text
messaging too..wow. I only found out about the latter when my son, the
proud owner of about 4 super-duper smart phones, borrowed one to send
a really urgent (!) text and they were all on charge or at home. I had
to suppress a giggle. Don't you people have spare fully-charged
batteries?

There is supposed to be a study on what people use their cell phones
for but I've never been able to find it. Maybe Apple paid to have it
suppressed? Any ideas?

---
http://www.avg.com