Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default $1000 phone

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 10:35:44 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/12/17 12:21 AM, Andy wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/inve...one/index.html

What do you thing ?

Andy

From the article

"The tech giant is expected to unveil the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and
iPhone X at an event Tuesday, promising wireless charging, a better
camera, a bigger screen and a much higher price."

The obvious thing is phones will reach a point where they are too big
to be handy. It's too big if I can't put it in my pocket.
I don't remember the details. There's a point where we can't
really see the difference in photo quality. I think we've reached that
point with some of the TVs on the market now.

My new phone has a 6" screen. I was concerned it might be too big,
but it's OK. I wouldn't want anything bigger though. And a smaller
one is more comfortable to hold in your hand when making calls, but
I got used to it. As to screen quality on a phone, you're right.
I forget the details, but I looked into it before getting this one,
there was somewhere around I think 250 DPI where it doesn't make
any difference on a smartphone size screen. Apple was at that limit
or above it for a long time with it's phones. Other manufacturers
pushed higher, at 2X that on their high end phones. IDK what the
new Apple is, but I think it's way up there too now. People are
buying on specs, not what they can see. Those more expensive
displays probably have other advantages, like maybe better brightness,
color rendition, etc, too. But it's not worth $500 or $900 more
to me for what I use a phone for. The 6" display though is very
nice, makes it more usable.