Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 10:27:31 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:15:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
wrote in news:asq7rclt5c1mf4brd2gu4j5m5jkfpslfpc@
4ax.com:

Actually yes.Complete and driveable. Might not pass any safety
inspectiom, but as I said - adequate for emergency use. Even if you
scrap it after 3 months it's cheaper than a motel.
Also some old Class A units - with big gas guzzling V8 engines and
even a few old bus conversions.
Something I'd travel accross the continent with? Definitely not - but
something to keep you warm and dry, and secure - most definitely. With
working appliances even, so you can cook meals and keep the beer cold.

One thing I've wondered about... Couldn't a reasonable place to stay for
a family be built in a 20' container? They're stackable, so you could
load a stack train up and unload in an empty parking lot.

Assuming the parking lot is right by the tracks and that the unloading equipment can
be set up/used on-site. If not, add a transportation step to the set-up process.

Instant
temporary apartment complex, good for a month or so for things to get
going again.

A month or so isn't going to be enough. It'll take a lot longer than that to set up
long term temporary housing.

They're supposed to be small and cramped, you don't want people thinking
they're going to live there for any length of time. Shoot, weld down the
beds and everything but the chairs for "transportation reasons" but also
to keep people from moving stuff out to move stuff in.

Ventilation could be an issue. You need windows, fans, heaters, etc. Heck, FEMA
got screwed on trailers that were designed to be lived in. Imagine all the issues with
housing people in converted shipping containers. The lawyers are already salivating.

Besides, the gathering of the containers and beds, the cleaning, the welding,
the set-up etc. all take the "instant" part out of the equation.

PODSĀ®

https://www.pods.com/container-sizes
http://us.exaude.com/wp-content/uplo.../02/pods-3.jpg
https://tours.360wichita.com/3868/sl...7/delivery.jpg