Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

On 05 Sep 2017 20:24:02 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

LOL. I always went to the meetings and one day the HOA VP visited me
and indicated that the secretary resigned. He asked if I would be
willing to fill that spot, I accepted. FF about a year and the board
made me president. I keep getting reelected with no opposition and
reassigned to hold the president position.

Leadership is sometimes a position they give you to keep you from causing
trouble. You weren't causing trouble for them, were you Leon? ;-)

It's also something given to you because you didn't step backwards
fast enough.

You do have a point, though. I think twice before I speak at our
annual meeting. My mouth may earn me something my ass doesn't want to
pay for.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 20:17:05 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 7:22:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I didn't say anything about FEMA doing everything right after Katrina.
FEMA is (federal) government. When they do something right, it's time
to be amazed.

But the other five trailers they used did not leak.

Let's all hope that FEMA learned something.

Kinna diverting from this school of thought, FEMA did learn something after Katrina. The trailers they supplied had issues with the China-made plywood interiors, namely, the gassing off of formaldehyde. Lots of those trailers were simply parked, unused. Later, some outfits tried to sell some of them, after buying them thinking they could turn a quick profit off unknowing buyers. If I'm not mistaken, there were still some parked at the old racetrack, here, just 2 yrs ago.

We'll see if they really learned anything. Would you have suspected
that formaldehyde might be bad for people? It wasn't unknown in
plywood and particle board, at the time.

Another diversion from thought: Prospective subdivisions, here, have (had?) been havens for drug dealers (cul-de-sacs or otherwise), in that, the mail boxes, of the empty homes, was where the transactions took place.... no one paid attention to them as exchange (money-drugs) venues. The subdivision, behind me, was one of those places where exchanges were made, via the mailboxes. Several guys (brothers), living behind me, got caught.

Nice dark places, off the beaten path, attract all sorts of vermin.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 17:03:51 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 9/3/2017 9:12 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 21:36:08 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 21:06:41 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 16:32:16 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 14:56:55 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 9/3/2017 12:57 PM, dpb wrote:
On 03-Sep-17 12:13 PM, Leon wrote:

FEMA is paying for hotels for those flooded out of their homes. $4K
would be way too much for a big percentage of families to pay.
FEMA provided trailers for flood victims during the aftermath of Allison
16 years ago, thousands of trailers. And yes the city allowed the
trailers to be situated near the affected homes.

But would they let a homeowner put one on the lot itself and a private
trailer rather than FEMA in one of the designated locations is the
question???

--

I do not know the rules, I'm sure it depends on the location. BUT I
recall seeing the trailers everywhere, mostly in driveways.

If it's designed to be a house trailer or RV and if it's on your
property, why would there be an issue?

A house trailer would be an issue just about anywhere but a RV trailer
might be different. OTOH, if you're living in it, the gendarmes might
get a little tight-lipped about it.

Are you suggesting that in Houston it's illegal to park your RV in
your driveway?

Not allowed here (dumbass HOA).

I would not buy any property that was afflicted by an HOA. Of course
the town here thinks it's an HOA so I really need to look into moving.

It's getting hard to buy without an HOA, anymore. Developers use them
to protect themselves during build-out, then dump the mess on the
homeowners. Ours may have gotten the message that we're not
interested (haven't heard from them since the last annual meeting but
this year's is next Saturday).

In the Houston area the HOA takes over where the local governments leave
off. Our HOA pays for landscape crews to keep up with the common areas
and the entrances. The HOA pays for maintenance around the neighborhood
and pays for street lighting, mosquito control, etc.

I actually prefer to be in a strict HOA, you can not buy in a
neighborhood with knowing and agreeing to the rules and regulations.
Our HOA is not terrible to deal with....I'm the president. ;~)

Why am I not surprised?

But we
do want residents to pay their dues and to not be the eye sore on the
street.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 16:46:01 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 4:02:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 08:10:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 10:36:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 21:15:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 10:54:05 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 02-Sep-17 10:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep, $4000 grand and it's sitting on your lot, ready for you to move into.
I guess they come with delivery. Water's hook up, sewer, electricity, all
up to whatever lenient code the city allows during this stressful time.

None of the above will be in the $4K except perhaps trailering to your
location. It's not likely the city will allow one to put it on the lot
even in these circumstances, though, altho it makes common sense that
rarely has any place in government, particularly in code enforcement.

I assume you realize that that was a sarcastic response to Clare's $4K housing
solution. I sure wasn't being serious.

I was.
When my kid broyher's house burned down that's excatly what he did.
He picked up an old RV and parked it in his yard untill the new house
was built. Her used a camping sewer cart to take the effluent from the
trailer to his septic tank.

...because he could afford to.

Stoll lots of cheap RVs for sale in Florida - might not be something
you want to park in a fancy trailrt park beside some guy's 2 million
dollar rig - but it's dry, warm, and enclosed, with a kitchen and
head.

...if you can afford to buy one, transport it, hook it up, etc.

I have no argument with the practicality of using a trailer as temporary
housing. My only issue, right from the start, is with those that make it
sound like it's so cheap (and practical) that every displaced person in
the Houston area should just do it.

There's theory, then there's real life. $4K for you may not be a hardship,
but $4K for a impoverished person might as well be $4MM.

OTOH, an "impoverished person" wouldn't be parking an RV in his back
yard while his home was being rebuilt.

My point exactly. They wouldn't be parking an RV in their yard becasue they
can't afford it. Some folks around here make it sound like it's the solution
for all.

Hey, if they can afford a minimal RV then they probably can't afford
to rebuild the house either.

How did they manage to pay for it to begin with?

There are thousands of
not-impoverished persons in Greater Houston who are without homes,
too.

Yep.

BTW, that's exactly what FEMA does - move trailers in for those
who have no other place to live, while the cleanup is in progress.
They made a mess of it after Katrina but my bet is that they've
learned a thing or three, since. Let's hope so.

What do you mean a mess? Everything seems perfectly normal to me. ;-)

"Part of the problem was that FEMA was projected to spend $239,000 for each
280-square-foot trailer at one site through March 2009 – as much as a buying
a five-bedroom, 2,000-square-foot home in Jackson, Miss., according to GAO."

http://www.whas11.com/ext/news/natio...mMI4OaE0ikOiwO

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

They have no back yard to park one in if they had the $4000. I don't
believe the last sentence is true at all. I guess I have a higher
regard for the folks here.

(1) who said anything about "back yard", and why a yard at all?
Haven't you people ever seen a driveway?

(2) If they don't own property then what the Hell are they supposed to
be rebuilding? (hint, if your apartment is destroyed, is isn't _your_
responsibility to rebuild it).

There are thousands of
not-impoverished persons in Greater Houston who are without homes,
too.

Yep.

BTW, that's exactly what FEMA does - move trailers in for those
who have no other place to live, while the cleanup is in progress.
They made a mess of it after Katrina but my bet is that they've
learned a thing or three, since. Let's hope so.

What do you mean a mess? Everything seems perfectly normal to me. ;-)

Good point, though normal = mess when the federal government gets
involved.

"Part of the problem was that FEMA was projected to spend $239,000 for each
280-square-foot trailer at one site through March 2009 – as much as a buying
a five-bedroom, 2,000-square-foot home in Jackson, Miss., according to GAO."

http://www.whas11.com/ext/news/natio...mMI4OaE0ikOiwO

It's government. Even bottomless pockets will be picked.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 22:45:54 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

(2) If they don't own property then what the Hell are they supposed to
be rebuilding? (hint, if your apartment is destroyed, is isn't _your_
responsibility to rebuild it).

Actually some landlords are expecting rent from tenants in Houston
apartments that are flood damaged and not livable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

(2) If they don't own property then what the Hell are they supposed to
be rebuilding? (hint, if your apartment is destroyed, is isn't _your_
responsibility to rebuild it).

Actually some landlords are expecting rent from tenants in Houston
apartments that are flood damaged and not livable.

They still have a mortgage to pay. From what I red, the tenant can
notify the landlord in writing if the apartment in not in livable
condition and void the lease. While is seems sleazy, it may be legal
thing so they can collect insurance. It would be sleazy to actually
collect the rent though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe they are renting. Renters get FEMA compensation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

(2) If they don't own property then what the Hell are they supposed to
be rebuilding?Â* (hint, if your apartment is destroyed, is isn't _your_
responsibility to rebuild it).

Actually some landlords are expecting rent from tenants in Houston
apartments that are flood damaged and not livable.

They still have a mortgage to pay.Â* From what I red, the tenant can
notify the landlord in writing if the apartment in not in livable
condition and void the lease.Â* While is seems sleazy, it may beÂ* legal
thing so they can collect insurance.Â* It would be sleazy to actually
collect the rent though.

You do not have to won property to qualify for housing assistance from FEMA.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Isn't that where the tradesmen park and where supplies for the rebuild
are delivered? It probably wouldn't be a good idea to constantly be
in their way. Perhaps you like someone living in the middle of your
workspace, though.

(2) If they don't own property then what the Hell are they supposed to
be rebuilding? (hint, if your apartment is destroyed, is isn't _your_
responsibility to rebuild it).

Duh! That was my point. Genius!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That's what the _yard_ is for. And the tradesmen park in the street.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to constantly be
in their way. Perhaps you like someone living in the middle of your
workspace, though.

If you're in their way then start the damned thing up and drive off.
You clearly don't grasp the conept of "RV".

(2) If they don't own property then what the Hell are they supposed to
be rebuilding? (hint, if your apartment is destroyed, is isn't _your_
responsibility to rebuild it).

Duh! That was my point. Genius!

No, your point was something about people who have houses but are too
poor to obtain an RV.

For people who don't have houses to begin with, rebuilding is not an
issue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

If they are renting then why do they need to rebuild the house? It
isn't _their_ house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

UHhhh they have to live some where. you idiot. You must be one of the
most miserable persons I have ever been exposed to.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Do you block your driveway when contractors show up? I sure don't.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to constantly be
in their way. Perhaps you like someone living in the middle of your
workspace, though.

If you're in their way then start the damned thing up and drive off.
You clearly don't grasp the conept of "RV".

"RV" can also be a trailer. I don't imagine you could buy much of a
class-A motor home for $4000.

(2) If they don't own property then what the Hell are they supposed to
be rebuilding? (hint, if your apartment is destroyed, is isn't _your_
responsibility to rebuild it).

Duh! That was my point. Genius!

No, your point was something about people who have houses but are too
poor to obtain an RV.

No, that certainly was *not* my point. I never said anything of the
kind.

For people who don't have houses to begin with, rebuilding is not an
issue.

Except that they have nowhere to live.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, they do. But they are not going to be rebuilding anything, they
are going to be looking for another place to rent.

That you don't grasp this and find it appropiate to call other people
stupid when they don't just agree with you says that you are both
immature and insecure.

And once again I am bored with your bull**** so back into the killfile
you go.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Grow the fu@k up.
You were being argumentative, judgemental, and very unsympathetic.
Killfile.... pffft. What grade are you in?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

So you move your boat and your camping trailer into the street when
workmen show up so they can park where those are normally kept? Most
residential driveways don't have enough space for the entire crew that
builds a house to park.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to constantly be
in their way. Perhaps you like someone living in the middle of your
workspace, though.

If you're in their way then start the damned thing up and drive off.
You clearly don't grasp the conept of "RV".

"RV" can also be a trailer. I don't imagine you could buy much of a
class-A motor home for $4000.

So? Who said anything about "class A". You're looking for an
alternative to a motel room, not an alternative to Versaiiles.

(2) If they don't own property then what the Hell are they supposed to
be rebuilding? (hint, if your apartment is destroyed, is isn't _your_
responsibility to rebuild it).

Duh! That was my point. Genius!

No, your point was something about people who have houses but are too
poor to obtain an RV.

No, that certainly was *not* my point. I never said anything of the
kind.

Then you should learn to write more clearly.

For people who don't have houses to begin with, rebuilding is not an
issue.

Except that they have nowhere to live.

Which has what to do with rebuilding a house that they do not own?
Renters aren't tied to a particular property. They aren't going to
rebuild the landlord's house for him and they don't have any need to
live near a particular property while someone is building more rentals
or rebuilding existing ones. If they have skills that are in demand
they may just move somewhere else. After Katrina, a lot of people
moved to Texas. Now they may move back to New Orleans.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Good Lord, you're dense. Nevermind. Argue with someone else about
something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Hey, you're the one coming up with lame arguments why somebody can't
live in an RV for a while while their house is being repaired. I'm
just pointing out that they're lame.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Or if they are smart somewhere where Hurricaines are not an everyday
fact of life - and forget Kansas or Oklahoma where Tornadows can be
just as bad. For the "poor" - retired, unemployed or on welfare there
is nothing stopping them from movng to somewhere where housing is
cheap and jobs are scarce. Detroit mabee??
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Even a slide-in pickup camper would do the job - and you DO NOT need
to own the truck. Just chain it down well!!.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

So 5th grade, ok.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 10:54:05 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 02-Sep-17 10:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep, $4000 grand and it's sitting on your lot, ready for
you to move into.
I guess they come with delivery.Â* Water's hook up, sewer,
electricity, all
up to whatever lenient code the city allows during this
stressful time.

None of the above will be in the $4K except perhaps
trailering to your
location.Â* It's not likely the city will allow one to put it
on the lot
even in these circumstances, though, altho it makes common
sense that
rarely has any place in government, particularly in code
enforcement.

I assume you realize that that was a sarcastic response to
Clare's $4K housing
solution. I sure wasn't being serious.

Â*Â*Â* I was.
Â*Â*Â* When my kid broyher's house burned down that's excatly
what he did.
He picked up an old RV and parked it in his yard untill the
new house
was built. Her used a camping sewer cart to take the effluent
from the
trailer to his septic tank.

...because he could afford to.

Â*Â*Â* Stoll lots of cheap RVs for sale in Florida - might not be
[...]

Maybe they are renting.Â* Renters get FEMA compensation.

If they are renting then why do they need to rebuild the house?Â* It
isn't _their_ house.

UHhhh they have to live some where. you idiot.Â* You must be one of the
most miserable persons I have ever been exposed to.

Yes, they do.Â* But they are not going to be rebuilding anything, they
are going to be looking for another place to rent.

That you don't grasp this and find it appropiate to call other people
stupid when they don't just agree with you says that you are both
immature and insecure.

And once again I am bored with your bull**** so back into the killfile
you go.

Grow the fu@k up.
You were being argumentative, judgemental, and very unsympathetic.
Killfile.... pffft.Â*Â* What grade are you in?

He is in the Turd grade
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â* I was.
Â*Â*Â*Â* When my kid broyher's house burned down that's excatly
what he did.
He picked up an old RV and parked it in his yard untill the
new house
was built. Her used a camping sewer cart to take the
effluent from the
trailer to his septic tank.

...because he could afford to.

Â*Â*Â*Â* Stoll lots of cheap RVs for sale in Florida - might not
[...]

I think he kill filed every one. Good, he is gone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Sep 2017 02:15:47 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in news:asq7rclt5c1mf4brd2gu4j5m5jkfpslfpc@
4ax.com:

Actually yes.Complete and driveable. Might not pass any safety
inspectiom, but as I said - adequate for emergency use. Even if you
scrap it after 3 months it's cheaper than a motel.
Also some old Class A units - with big gas guzzling V8 engines and
even a few old bus conversions.
Something I'd travel accross the continent with? Definitely not - but
something to keep you warm and dry, and secure - most definitely. With
working appliances even, so you can cook meals and keep the beer cold.

One thing I've wondered about... Couldn't a reasonable place to stay for
a family be built in a 20' container? They're stackable, so you could
load a stack train up and unload in an empty parking lot. Instant
temporary apartment complex, good for a month or so for things to get
going again.

They're supposed to be small and cramped, you don't want people thinking
they're going to live there for any length of time. Shoot, weld down the
beds and everything but the chairs for "transportation reasons" but also
to keep people from moving stuff out to move stuff in.

If we're being creative how about something like a section of a
Japanese "capsule" hotel built into a container. Not sure how many
people you could fit into ond that way but it's dense and cheap and
more private than a barracks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:15:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
wrote in news:asq7rclt5c1mf4brd2gu4j5m5jkfpslfpc@
4ax.com:

Actually yes.Complete and driveable. Might not pass any safety
inspectiom, but as I said - adequate for emergency use. Even if you
scrap it after 3 months it's cheaper than a motel.
Also some old Class A units - with big gas guzzling V8 engines and
even a few old bus conversions.
Something I'd travel accross the continent with? Definitely not - but
something to keep you warm and dry, and secure - most definitely. With
working appliances even, so you can cook meals and keep the beer cold.

One thing I've wondered about... Couldn't a reasonable place to stay for
a family be built in a 20' container? They're stackable, so you could
load a stack train up and unload in an empty parking lot.

Assuming the parking lot is right by the tracks and that the unloading equipment can
be set up/used on-site. If not, add a transportation step to the set-up process.

Instant
temporary apartment complex, good for a month or so for things to get
going again.

A month or so isn't going to be enough. It'll take a lot longer than that to set up
long term temporary housing.

They're supposed to be small and cramped, you don't want people thinking
they're going to live there for any length of time. Shoot, weld down the
beds and everything but the chairs for "transportation reasons" but also
to keep people from moving stuff out to move stuff in.

Ventilation could be an issue. You need windows, fans, heaters, etc. Heck, FEMA
got screwed on trailers that were designed to be lived in. Imagine all the issues with
housing people in converted shipping containers. The lawyers are already salivating.

Besides, the gathering of the containers and beds, the cleaning, the welding,
the set-up etc. all take the "instant" part out of the equation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

PODS®

https://www.pods.com/container-sizes
http://us.exaude.com/wp-content/uplo.../02/pods-3.jpg
https://tours.360wichita.com/3868/sl...7/delivery.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 06:12:47 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

It was talked about post-Katrina but never went anywhere. I think it
would be a good idea. The "housing" could be stored for the next
emergency, unless they couldn't keep critters out of them (don't
know). They wouldn't be of much use if they were rodent infested when
they were needed. Cleaning after might be a problem, too.

In an emergency, it should be possible to find some space next to a
rail line.

Instant
temporary apartment complex, good for a month or so for things to get
going again.

A month or so isn't going to be enough. It'll take a lot longer than that to set up
long term temporary housing.

They're supposed to be small and cramped, you don't want people thinking
they're going to live there for any length of time. Shoot, weld down the
beds and everything but the chairs for "transportation reasons" but also
to keep people from moving stuff out to move stuff in.

Ventilation could be an issue. You need windows, fans, heaters, etc. Heck, FEMA
got screwed on trailers that were designed to be lived in. Imagine all the issues with
housing people in converted shipping containers. The lawyers are already salivating.

The difference is that there would be time to plan. That said, the
government isn't good at planning.

Besides, the gathering of the containers and beds, the cleaning, the welding,
the set-up etc. all take the "instant" part out of the equation.

I was thinking more of an advanced project. Make 10K of them and
store them around the country on military bases, or some such.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 10:27:31 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Nice pictures.

Is there a reason that you posted them?
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

wrote:

One thing I've wondered about... Couldn't a reasonable place to stay
for a family be built in a 20' container? They're stackable, so you
could load a stack train up and unload in an empty parking lot.

Assuming the parking lot is right by the tracks and that the unloading
equipment can be set up/used on-site. If not, add a transportation
step to the set-up process.

Right, but 2-3 semis with a pair of containers each could probably have
10-20 containers set up in a day.

Instant
temporary apartment complex, good for a month or so for things to get
going again.

A month or so isn't going to be enough. It'll take a lot longer than
that to set up long term temporary housing.

How long do you recon?

They're supposed to be small and cramped, you don't want people
thinking they're going to live there for any length of time. Shoot,
weld down the beds and everything but the chairs for "transportation
reasons" but also to keep people from moving stuff out to move stuff
in.

Ventilation could be an issue. You need windows, fans, heaters, etc.
Heck, FEMA got screwed on trailers that were designed to be lived in.
Imagine all the issues with housing people in converted shipping
containers. The lawyers are already salivating.

Besides, the gathering of the containers and beds, the cleaning, the
welding, the set-up etc. all take the "instant" part out of the
equation.

Good point about the ventilation. That kind of stuff would cut into the
living space severely. There's also the little matter of waste
extraction.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

wrote:

One thing I've wondered about... Couldn't a reasonable place to stay
for a family be built in a 20' container? They're stackable, so you
could load a stack train up and unload in an empty parking lot.

Assuming the parking lot is right by the tracks and that the unloading
equipment can be set up/used on-site. If not, add a transportation
step to the set-up process.

Right, but 2-3 semis with a pair of containers each could probably have
10-20 containers set up in a day.

Have you ever been _in_ a container? 20' by 6' is what, about 120 square
feet? No Windows, door hardware only on the exterior. No plumbing,
No electricity.

Instant
temporary apartment complex, good for a month or so for things to get
going again.

A month or so isn't going to be enough. It'll take a lot longer than
that to set up long term temporary housing.

How long do you recon?

Ah Reckon...