Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Soda Maker: How long does it take carbon dioxide to diffuse into 4C cold water at 30psi?

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 00:11:09 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I just don't know what I'm doing and why.

Then do some remedial reading on the topic.
http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm
There should be sufficient theory and numbers in the article to
provide whatever it is you're asking.

Ummmm... what problem are you trying to solve? I probably don't have
an answer, but I'm curious.

Do you?

Nope. You'll get no advice from me unless you're a masochist and into
Learn By Destroying(tm).

I built my own carbonation contraption from junk in about 1973. I did
just about everything wrong, hit all the pitfalls, and didn't listen
to anyones advice. My best fizz water had a carbonic acid taste
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid
and lacerated my tongue because I used too much pressure. I also
tried to use room temperature water, into which CO2 refuses to
diffuse, or if I'm lucky, takes a few days with agitation. I was
fortunate and didn't produce a simulated CO2 powered water rocket, but
did manage to build credible CO2/water sprayer which might make a
usable fire extinguisher.

In 1973 the 2L bottle was just becoming available in the stores. I
had just returned from Israel, where the only economical way to buy
Coca Cola was in 2L bottles. They were everywhere. When I returned
to the USA, I temporarily switched from Coca Cola to Pepsi which was
the only drink at the time available in 2L bottles. Eventually, I
accumulated a supply of 2L bottles (which barely fit in the tiny
refrigerators of the day).

One of my few successes was to copy the common seltzer bottle and
install a siphon tube in the 2 liter PET bottle. The siphon tube
allowed me to bubble agitate the liquid from the bottom of the bottle,
thus dramatically increasing the surface area of the water, and
therefore also increasing the CO2 diffusion rate. Filling the bottle
horizontally, with a bent siphon tube, was even better. However, I
made a fundamental mistake. I had not purged the air from the top of
the 2L bottle before pressurizing, resulting in a fizzy mix of
compressed air and CO2 in carbonic acid. It's easy to tell if you've
made this mistake because the resulting fizz water tastes and smells
horrible. I also attached a gas flow meter and aquarium bubble
counter to check the CO2 flow. The flow meter range was too high and
barely moved the ball. The bubble counter range was too low causing
the initial blast of CO2 to empty the glass vial. Can't win.

Ok, enough anecdotes. Follow the instructions in the above URL or at
least double check your existing setup to see what you've missed. Good
luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D