Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Decimal Time

In article , says...

This country can be pretty idiotic about "compulsory" issues. The federal
government has a regulation that children must wear life vests in federally
controlled waters. The State of Virginia has a similar law, but it only
applies to the waterways that are regulated by the Coast Guard (federal
laws). So the law is no additional regulation, it simply allows the state
authorities to enforce it. Meanwhile it is perfectly legal in the state
controlled waters to not put a life vest on your children. Allegedly this
is because the legislators get tremendous push back when they pass laws that
add new regulations.

How fooking stupid is that?! *Everyone* should have to wear a life vest any
time they are in a boat underway. Just this past July 4th weekend someone
died when he fell overboard while not wearing a life vest. They do nothing
for you if you don't wear them. Cutting a tree down with your six year old
next to you would be considered child endangerment even though there is no
specific law against it. By the same reasoning allowing children to ride in
a boat without a life vest should be child endangerment regardless of the
law. But we legislate according to the push back from fears of "over
regulation".

I can see laws like the life vest for children and seat belts or safety
seats for children.

What I would really like is for the insurance companies to get togetner
with the law makers and not pay off to the people over 21 that do not
follow those laws. I do not care if some one of reasonable age falls
off the boat without the life vest and drowns. Just don't expect his
life insurance to pay off. Or is someone gets hurt in a car crash
without the seat belt, just do not pay off for medical bills or to get
his car repaired.