Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

On 9/7/2017 9:19 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 09:44:10 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 9/5/2017 9:43 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 16:46:01 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 4:02:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 08:10:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 10:36:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 21:15:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 10:54:05 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 02-Sep-17 10:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep, $4000 grand and it's sitting on your lot, ready for you to move into.
I guess they come with delivery. Water's hook up, sewer, electricity, all
up to whatever lenient code the city allows during this stressful time.

None of the above will be in the $4K except perhaps trailering to your
location. It's not likely the city will allow one to put it on the lot
even in these circumstances, though, altho it makes common sense that
rarely has any place in government, particularly in code enforcement.

I assume you realize that that was a sarcastic response to Clare's $4K housing
solution. I sure wasn't being serious.

I was.
When my kid broyher's house burned down that's excatly what he did.
He picked up an old RV and parked it in his yard untill the new house
was built. Her used a camping sewer cart to take the effluent from the
trailer to his septic tank.

...because he could afford to.

Stoll lots of cheap RVs for sale in Florida - might not be something
you want to park in a fancy trailrt park beside some guy's 2 million
dollar rig - but it's dry, warm, and enclosed, with a kitchen and
head.

...if you can afford to buy one, transport it, hook it up, etc.

I have no argument with the practicality of using a trailer as temporary
housing. My only issue, right from the start, is with those that make it
sound like it's so cheap (and practical) that every displaced person in
the Houston area should just do it.

There's theory, then there's real life. $4K for you may not be a hardship,
but $4K for a impoverished person might as well be $4MM.

OTOH, an "impoverished person" wouldn't be parking an RV in his back
yard while his home was being rebuilt.

My point exactly. They wouldn't be parking an RV in their yard becasue they
can't afford it. Some folks around here make it sound like it's the solution
for all.

Hey, if they can afford a minimal RV then they probably can't afford
to rebuild the house either.

How did they manage to pay for it to begin with?

Maybe they are renting. Renters get FEMA compensation.

If they are renting then why do they need to rebuild the house? It
isn't _their_ house.

UHhhh they have to live some where. you idiot. You must be one of the
most miserable persons I have ever been exposed to.